Asian carp for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by graftoncatfisher, Jul 29, 2007.

1. graftoncatfisher

graftoncatfisher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I went fishing this morning and tried asian carp for bait for the first time and had no luck. I got a couple of little hit on it but I think it was just those darn gar pecking at it. Any one have any luck usein them for bait?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup. They are excellent bait. Make sure it is dead because it's not legal to fish with it live. If you think it was gar messing with your bait, try finding heavier current. I find that gar like slower current and backwater, while cats like the current, and hide behind rocks and whatnot waiting to ambush it's prey.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It probably doesn't really matter if you chunk it, fillet it or use it otherwise.

Personally, I take a fillet out of each side, then throw the rest of the bloody, nasty mess overboard for chum. I'll use the whole fillet if smallish, or cut into strips, usually a long piece so it flaps in the current.

I have had really good success with it. It stays on the hook really well also.

Keep your bait fresh!

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Darryl gave you pretty much the exact version of what I do as well.

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wrap the guts around the hook then put on your filets.. They love that nasty mess! Otherwise.. Chum as many as you can.. Its good for the river system to kill them off..

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    where are you guys catching them asians in your cast net? i tried creeks and sand flats, i've caught quillback shad commons pretty much everything but asian carp.

7. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i shoot them with a bowfishing rig

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Zach, I have caught a few in my throw net but most of the time I secure everything in my boat and head for the down side of a dike..go in slow and open the motor up and they will start jumping...just try not to get hit. I had my fish finder broken from one jumping in the boat.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mostly in a castnet but they can be hard to get sometimes.

Sometimes a guy just has to drive the boat in hard circles to stir them up and they jump right in. Not kidding, try it.

Sloughs, slack waters behind wing dikes etc. are best.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the thing is they are not that thick up here in ole' nebrasky (yet) i try to make them jump in the boat but they always jump over my boat or hit the side or they flop out before i can get my hands on them. one more question if i do get one can they be froze? reason i ask is the ones i have seen in the air are over 20 pounds and have seen some 40 pounders before obviously i'm not gonna use that much bait in one night.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    They don't freeze well, they turn to mush.

12. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    As far as saving them for another trip the only way i have had any luck is cutting off the tail and bleeding the fish into bag, cut off filets, soak in bag, and keep refrigerated. After being frozen they don't seem to work as well. But fresh is always the best. Good luck!!

13. graftoncatfisher

State:
    illinois
    thanks for a info i will keep useing them and see if i cant catch a cat on the asians. They are easy to catch in the grafton area of the river...

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Take your filets and sprinkle them down good with boraxo it will turn them hard if you let them cure out in air. Then pop them in freezer!!

15. graftoncatfisher

State:
    illinois
    went fishing this morning and caught my first cat on asian carp it was a 8lb blue.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Congrats on your catch! Keep at it and keep using those for bait. This time of year the cats really seem to enjoy em!

17. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get behind a dike and do circles usually works pretty good

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have had some luck with them..I cut the sides off and chunk it up and hang the bleeding mess off the side of my boat. Dont know if it helps but putting that much blood in the water while your sitting there fishing cant hurt.

19. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri

Are you sure about being not legal? I though only game fish were not legal to use as bait.

20. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never mind. You are right. I found it in the regulations book. I didn't even know that! Thanks.