Asian carp for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by primitivefrn, Oct 29, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Have a lot of people , say it was good cutbait, but in all honesty, when you start talking to people have you caught, any cats on it, seems like the answer is no, HAS any body had any success with it, and what size caught.
    Just curiosity, I know regular cutbait from common carp and buffalo, has caught some good fish, The Asian seem to be the oilest fish I've seen, seems like it should work, whats your experience with it.
    Jim

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    When I fish on the Mississippi, it's the only thing I use...I catch the carp with a throw net and they're usually 6-8 inches in length. I cut them into thirds and usually discard the tail and head. In all honesty...I catch more fish on the Miss than on the Missouri and I use shad on the Missouri cause they are easier to find than the carp there.

In my experience, I seem to have as good if not better catch rate on carp. And I don't mind getting rid of em either, as they are a non-native and compete with the native fish.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jim Check out this thread http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22228
    page 1-9 posts 1,26,41,44,63,67,78,82, & 90

All, these fish were caught on Asian Carp. Asain is a GREAT HOT weather bait, it was commonly in the 100's when these fish were caught.

Size well two 60 lb fish and the biggest was 77lbs

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I started using it this year after reading a few posts about it on here and it has been a good bait for me. I've had a slow year this year for some reason . I always use shad, live goldfish, and cut carp now and the carp has outfished the shad and goldfish almost every time in both numbers and size. I haven't caught anything big since spring, 5 to 10 lbers , but the bigger ones came on the carp. I fish it in a fillet about an inch and a half wide by 4 to 6 inches long, leaving a small piece of skin on one end to run the hook through(thanks Cuz) and it has worked out real well for me. It'll be on at least one of my poles every time I go from now on. I've caught mostly blues on it but a few channels too. I haven't caught any flats on it but I haven't caught but one flathead since prespawn on anything. I know several people on here that have caught flatties on it and one guy who fishes my stretch has caught flatties on it too. He used it this spring before I started using it and he caught three flats in one night that totaled 70 lbs , the biggest was forty something , all of them on cut asian. He caught them one night in a two hour span after sitting most of the night with out a bite from anything.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I hear that a lot, Hot Weather bait. What makes it so good in the summer and then you can't seem to get a bite off it the rest of the year.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have no idea Troy. I just know it excells when its hot as heck out. When its 100 outside there will be cut asian carp on My hook or I'm not fishing!

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I wonder if its because of all the baby shad out and the bigger baits seem scarce? Seems that time of the year if you can find the bigger baits you got it made. Never had any luck with small baits and big fish.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    All the big fish I caught this year were on cut SILVER carp - 21 and 31 lbs for me, 23 for my dad. Also numerous smaller fish 5 to 15 lbs. All caught in blazing hot weather, one at night and the rest during the daytime with temps nearing 100F.

Last Friday, I cut up some of the bighead carp I caught and noticed that in the colder water (52F), the meat is a lot whiter and firmer and there wasn't any oil or anything oozing from it. Last summer in the heat, the meat seemed to be a lot more "runny" - that probably has something to do with it.

Will probably stick with shad for the rest of the winter, though I won't hesitate to cut up a carp if he stumbles into my net. Once it gets warm again, carp will be at the top of the menu.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The biggest fish in my boat this year(60lb Blue) hit on cut Asian carp, but the second biggest(40lb Blue) came on shad.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your welcome Big Jack. The little pecker heads cant steal your bait either with that skin on here. The water temp is getting colder folks. Based on my experiences the last couple of years its just about time to scale the bait sizes back. Once the water dips below 60 (might have happened already up north) time to scale the bait sizes back. As well, if your not getting bit pick up house and move spots. I typically will move twice as much during winter time. The fish will only want to move a little bit here and there to feed. During these nice winter days, if you really want to catch some nice, active fish, trailer the boat to your nearest lock and dam as the bite is usually better. The water temp is a couple of degrees warmer at the tailraces, and there is more oxygen. If a dam is out of the question try and find the plant steam discharges into the river. Good Luck and Be Safe.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I been giving that some thought. It might be because they are spawning at that time. When it was really hot it seemed they where stacked up a long the bank in 10ft+ water spawning. Although I here they also spawn when the water goes up and down too. Or maybe they just get tired of shad and want something more filling.

12. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Ive caught many blues on asian cut bait, and after reading the replies,realize these fish were also caught in hot weather. You got me some good information also. Thanks a lot! good luck and good fishing:cool2:

13. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim , in my experience the blues go through several phases of what they will eat and here is my thoughts on it. winter phase-smaller baits and shad or sour baits if you can find them. The later and colder it gets the more they will feed on sour or rotten baits as winter kill or shad die offs happen and that is the most available food. Prespawn or early spring- sour bait will work but fresh dead will work better,keep in mind that size needs to be scaled back but I have had luck with bluegill heads or other heads of fish.Warmwater till winter feedup- shad early then start looking for more oily baits as the water warms, live bait will work also. once the water temp starts back down I like to go back to shad or mooneye or if I have any skipjack herring until it gets cold enough to have shad die off again. Just my thoughts and use them how you see fit to do.

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The key factor to using asian carp is to skin them out and use the filets. Many do this also with skip jack. Since they are an oily fish, you have to get just under the skin to the fatty oily tissue normally just up from the tail. I chunk them out in filets of about 2 inches by 3 and put several on a kahle running the guts on first. The rest works great for chum when you can use it.. Take the extra time and prepare your baits and you will be more successful.
    Vince Copple
    TeamWhiskers