Asian Carp for Bait: A Reminder

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 13, 2008.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just a friendly reminder for anyone who doesn't already know or has forgotten or hasn't read my "Missouri Fishing Regulations for Catfishermen" document (see http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63156)...

It's illegal to use LIVE asian carp for bait in Missouri - you can use them only as cut bait or dead bait.

You really *don't* want the MDC to catch you with a bunch of baby asian carp swimming around in your livewell; it'll get real expensive, real quick. :eek:oooh: Your best bet is to put them on ice or whack them in the head or otherwise dispatch them as soon as you get them in the boat.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Every one of those dastardly creatures that enters My boat leaves it dead in one fashion or another.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Same goes for my boat. An asian get's in it, It gets a gaff to the gut pocket. It was nice not to have to worry about those stupid things last weekend while we was at Truman. I just hope some rednecks don't help scatter them things to the bodies of water that arent already affected. Next time I come upon one of those 60ft deep holes that are stacked from top to bottom with asians, I'll post a pic on here to show how fast them things spread.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Same here, they all meet their maker when they enter the "Death Barge"!!!

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We still talkin about asian carp? Sounded for a second you might be referring to them darn westies again.:crazy::wink:

Thanks for the heads up Mr T. I used them live once and after reporting my success on here, got spanked real good. LOL

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I knew you couldn't use them live, but I didn't know you couldn't keep them in your live well. Cause I have caught a few in the cast net before and just dumped them in there till I was ready to fillet them. Guess I'll have to cut their gills before I throw them in there or something......

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It may not be strictly illegal to have them alive while in your possession, but you'd be hard pressed to explain to the MDC why they're still alive. And the temptation to put them on a hook is high... :roll_eyes: If you catch them fresh for your current fishing trip, just put them on ice and be done with it - they'll be just as good, and you'll guarantee you're not doing anything that the MDC would frown on.

Honestly, it's a silly law as written -- as long as you're using them in waters already infested with the damned things, I don't see any harm in using them as live bait.

But the intent of the law is to ensure that they don't spread any farther. You can imagine some idiot with a livewell full of them heading to Lake of the Ozarks or Truman or Mark Twain and dumping the leftovers at the end of his fishing trip and things would spiral out of control pretty quickly after that -- it's really just a matter of time until our impoundments end up with these things in them, I'm sure.

8. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I sure dont want to seee em in Mark Twain, but I think it may slow down on the jet skis and skiers flying thru when we are trying to fish. Might make a good video :)

9. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    how good is fishing with carp. i have used drum and that didn't work out so well. and what size and part do you use on the carp mr t.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello Nathan, there are several varietys of Carps that make great bait. In relation to what Marty is speaking, the dastardly Asian Carps that Marty is referring to do make excellent bait in the dog days of summer time when Shad begin to run a little scarce. Like Marty said, they are illegal to use live but make great cut bait. Same goes for the common carp, they make deadly cutbait on the BlueCats in Summer time as well. This time of year its best to use Shad if you can find them. They are not biting the Skipjack Herring right now either just the Shad.

The Drum you are referring to dont do so well on the Catfish for some reason. I'm only assuming you are referring to the white drum that is very common to our rivers. Now the Black Drum, or Black Buffalo its called in some parts, it makes GREAT cut bait but they arnt all that common.

Right now if you can get your hands on some fresh Threadfin or Gizzard Shad, that would be the best bet.

11. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks john for the good advise i'll put it to work, hell carp are every where around here they are probley easier to catch than perch and much bigger. this summer i'm also going to start hunting aligator gar do you have any info about gar that will behelpful.:big_smile:

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    don't stick your fingers in their mouths, ya prolly won't get em all back.

13. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks ed:smile2: thats is real good advise

14. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I really like that idea. I can't believe how bad that lake has got with pleasure boaters & jet ski's & skiing. I hate it it makes it hard to run the lake & fish. Bring on the attach of the BIG HEADS.:big_smile:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Be carefull what you wish for with the Carp and Pleasure Boaters. The Boaters go away at night. Those Carp wont. :crazy:

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Hay maybe somehow we can team up with the Bigheads and defeat all bad & illeagal fishing practices maybe even have them take over all pay lakes and teach a lesson to those ruthless river thieves. We will call it THE 2008 BIGHEAD PLAGUE!!!! HA! HA!:0a5:

17. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    Maybe if they got into the lakes then maybe they would do something about the asains they are going to be a big problem and I am sick of them. Maybe all the money they waste on taking care of pallid stergions they should use on controlling asian carp.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    In my opinion, we haven't even begun to see a problem with the asains yet. We were up fishing at Alton Dam the other night, and they are just stacked up from top to bottom, in 60 foot of water. Heck they are even out in the channel. Most of the ones I am seeing are small ones too. I gaffed a couple the other day, and both of them were full of eggs.:angry: I don't know what they can even do besides a commercial market, but it makes me wonder what the rivers are gonna be like in 10 years or so.:crazy:

19. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I think they should electro fish for them then take them to make them into cat or dog food or donate them to the poor families and to poor countries where people have no food and are starving.Someone has the power to start doing something about.:smile2:

20. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    John you get right on that OK! Between work and fishing, i am sure you can find time to save the world!!:smile2::tounge_out::big_smile: WONDER JOHN!!

To be honest with you i dont think anybody is going to worry to much unless those damn fish get into the great lakes, then it will be to late!:angry: