Asian Carp fillet bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catch ya some asian carp they are everywhere kill it and fillet. Out of the fillets cut ya some fish shaped bait 2-6 inches seems to work good . Then swipe (borrow) a plastic container from kitchen. In a bowl mix garlic powder, borax, and anise. Sprinkle over fillets and let set for a day in fridge!! Now ya got some excellent bait !!!

2. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like it will work, can`t wait to try it.

:smile2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Borax will definitely preserve the fillets, but so will salt, and I know that catfish can be so finicky about taste that they won't hit baits preserved with iodized salt. I'd have to do a good bit of side by side testing to see how the borax works. There's 3 possibilities: doesn't make any difference; doesn't work as well; works even better than salt. I do know that borax is generally used instead of salt to preserve skins because the borax will keep bugs from eating the skin and salt won't.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's a lot easier to just catch one when you need it, hack off the fillets and keep them on ice for the current fishing trip, cutting pieces off as you need them.

As far as I know, anise, garlic and borax don't occur naturally in fish habitat. You'll catch more and bigger fish if you use exactly what they're used to eating every day...