Asian Carp Documentary

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by cubedweller, Aug 9, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
  2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for the video. I know some buddies of mine told me that they found some here in the Missouri, near Omaha. Its quite possible that they could go up the Platte river and destroy more populations of native fish.

These things are only good for bait!

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There are several good video documentrys on (www.youtube.com) Those suckers are on there way up every stream and river. We have them by the thousands on Chariton River . Kinda of sad they got loose. :angry:

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I almost wish that these people that are trying to stop this invasive species, would be allowed to dynamite the "hot spots".

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great video, & scary. We've had some confirmed in the Northwest Louisiana part of the Red River. My husband caught 1 small big-headed carp in a cast net, & a friend of ours knows a guy who got a 50# one with his bow.

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the post Alex.

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    all carp should be killed no matter what kind they are in the united states they will eventually screw up all the good bass walleye panfish and catfish and all the good native fish :sad2:so if you catch a carp dont release it-please.

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Thanks for that link Alex, that was pretty interesting?

Ken

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Wonder if there is a way to make fuel from them. Then the oil companies would have them cleaned out in a couple of years...

10. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    need the grass carp to contron water vegitation. here in ky its illegal to kill or keep a grass carp for this very reason.

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad y'all are enjoying the URL. Hey, at least they make good bait!

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    and target practice!

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    grass carp are sterile so they wont be a problem

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    common carp are native to the mississippi river basin.

15. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Not quite "native" but naturalized exotic. Common Carp are actually German Carp, and as such, not native to the United States at all. There are some carp that are beneficial, like the grass carp in KY, but most of them are trash fish that need to be controlled for population outbreaks. There's a reason a bowfishing team of 3 guys can bring in 150-600 fish in a night... they are over populated, and destroying the ecosystems of our lakes and rivers.

We just had a carp tournament on Saturday, 9 people/teams registered... 1 guy caught a 31# carp on store bought bait, and the rest of the people caught nothing. Then the professionals brought their boat back in, and rolled up to the weigh in with 60 carp.... from a 100 acre marsh attached to the 1300 acre lake. It was awesome and disgusting at the same time... disgusting that we allowed a single fish species to overpopulate so many of our beautiful lakes and waterways because someone wanted good luck or a cleaner pond.

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    That video was crazy. I had no idea that they were that bad. I'm usually not one for killing carp and have fished for them in tournaments. But that is ridiculous. They have to be removed before they destroy the natural habitat, and then the only thing we will be able to catch are carp. I bet they would have to be some good bait, or some boys with their bows could start wearin them out. But something has got to happen.

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Asian carp (Bighead, silver) should be elliminated but I have to disagree on this one. All carp should not be killed, not to mention it is not possible. They should be managed and not allowed to overrun but lets face it, after all these years the ecosystem has adapted to them. They are well established.

President Grant started getting carp sent over during his term as a food source. During WWII the carp more than filled this need, as smoked carp was a staple item and helped lower the nations food bill. While they can reduce water clarity, in major river systems the impact is neglible. The flow of water helps it stay cleaner. Clearer lakes have better predation and carp never get heavily established, due to the sight feeding bass walleye and catfish. These places also hold larger carp.

Even ray Scott realizes the future of carp, if he thought they were a huge threat to bass I doubt you would find this on his site. http://www.rayscott.net/news/rsol/10.html

Rainbow trout are not native to TN, yet we allow them here. Why because we consider them a decent fish, yet they destroyed the brook trout, and the rainbow had to be eliminated from select streams in order to reintroduce.

We consider them trash because they live in the dirtiest rivers, well I have bad news. It is us that made the rivers that way not the carp. If we keep neglecting our rivers you better be happy about catching carp because that is all that will remain.

Some areas are overpopulated but not all areas so I would say with confidence that encouraging the killing of all carp on all waters is not the best idea. The TN river sytem has big cats, good bass and tons of carp. They have not caused a problem, the only problem is inthe mind of those who see their very existence as a problem. They are not disturbing the TN river so why act like they are. Management in situations wher eit is needed, yes, blanket elimination, no. But then again this is just my opinion.

“Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not really the fish they are after.”