asian carp control

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by river scum, Dec 30, 2007.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a very serious thing to deal with. I don't think anyone has come up with an answer on this problem. The electric grid they use is bound to fail at some point. I had hoped when I started to watch this that someone had come up with an answer. Later Andy

3. huskercatman

huskercatman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    they are bad and getting worse

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Why not let us rednecks shoot these carp. I'm sure I could do some serious damage to the carp population with my Benelli. All it takes is the state conservation and wildlife departments waiving a few rules. They want to get rid of the carp.Bowfishing snagging and spearing are legal and there is no limit.So what if the carp swims off and dies of lead poisoning.Open the carp season with unrestricted weapons and you could make a serious dent in the population.It could be like dove hunting in Argentina or Mexico. You could go through a case of shotgun shells in an hour.What would be the best carp load? :big_smile:

5. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Eric your idea sounds like a lot of fun,I think turkey loads at a minimum but #4 buckshot would be my load of choice:wink:.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would hope there's a scientist somewhere approaching this problem on a biological level. I'm sure there's one unique trait about these fish we could exploit and attack. a destructive gene, chemical sterilization, or something toxic to the species hosted by the plankton they eat.. if i can imagine it, there's gotta be someone on it already. (I hope) !

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You may be on to something there. There has got to be a weakness some where.:smile2:

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    On the Missouri River there are these pools that run along the river that hold water when the river is very high and the fish can not get out when the river goes down. During the summer months a strange thing happens here..at night you will see maybe a hundered of these fat head carp coming up to the top of the water sucking air! When you shine the light on them they just sink down in the water.. It would have been very easy to sit on the bank and knock a few out if it were not illigal. I have only seen this happen at night during the summer months.

9. stick500

stick500 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    they're going to be tough to deal with- too bad they won't bite on anything!

wonder how much they've screwed up the Mississippi already?

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This sounds like a bow fishermans paradise.....open season on asian carp would take care of this.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The best shot we got at possiibly controlling these fish is the commercial fishermen. There is a market for these carp and it is slowly growing. The state of Illinois contracted with a couple commercial fishermen to set nets below Carlyle dam, in one day they netted like 20,000 of these carp. Three other commercial fishermen on the Illinois River report catching 30,000-39,000lbs a week from that river.
    This is a very big problem, here in Kentucky these carp have totally taken over some of the ox-bow lakes on the west end of the state. Totally, nothing left in them but bighead carp. Snagging and bowfishing won't even begin to put a dent in the population.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Somebody just needs to start a factory up that makes nothing but asian carp fish patties, just like salmon patties. They are amazing. I know people would buy those things by the bundle because you could even make them cheap and everybody is cheap. :big_smile:

14. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe dynamite could work....

But for now lets be glad they dont walk on land, then we will be in trouble....

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I talked to a commercial fisherman yesterday, and he had just come back from southern Il. They caught 80,000 lbs of asian carp. They sold them to a fella for 15 cents a lb. Wow, took him about a week. He has been chasing them around here, and has the population wittled down some. He told me he was able to just drop his net in anywhere, and get all he wanted, now he has to find them. I think that is good news. There must be a market for them somewhere, and maybe if the Commercial guys can make some good money, they are going to get what they can. Thought you'd like to know. Later Andy

16. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Seems like the harvest is a great way to hold them down, perhaps enough to keep them from taking over a waterway. Has anyone eaten them, to give us a good idea if they could become a commercial foodfish?

At $.15 a lb you may be able to make a living harvesting areas where they are already the dominant fish. Imagine the effort that would be spent by commercial fishermen if the price was $.75.

17. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bet cat food and fertilizer. I have gotten these things in my boat and they are slimmy and smelly.I don't know of anybody that has tried to cook a asian carp. Has any one here tried one??
    :crazy:

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have eaten them and they are not bad at all.
    It is some of the whitest meat you will probably ever see from a fish.
    They are full of bones so you have to clean them different.
    I just cut out the part that had the big rib bones since it is not full of little bones. and cooked that and then just pulled out the big bones.
    You waste alot that way but since they are easy to get and need to be thinned down I don't mind cutting up a 10 lb fish and getting 1 lb of meat.

19. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Carp are valued as a food fish in many countries. Maybe we can get people from these countries, let them borrow a boat ,and have no regulations to catch them. Then they can cook their catch on the shore. I read an article about alewives. Scientist found a chemical pheremone that injured alewives produceto tell other alewives to stay away from the area. Scientists place this chemical in breeding grounds. Then the alewives won't be able to breed and eventually die off. Maybe we can find a pheremone that works the same with carp.

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Has or does anyone just go out with the 12 guage and a box or two of non toxic shot? It'd be good practice for small game or bird hunting and you wont be polluting the environment.