Asian carp by the thousands

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 1sporticus, May 26, 2008.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was up on the Des Moines river yesterday and today. I saw Asian carp by the thousands. They were floating just below the surface, and every once in a while they would splash up after something, but when they splashed up out of the water, it looked as if it was choreographed. They were all facing upstream with they're mouths open feeding on algea, and it looked like cottonwood seeds. They was stacked up like cordwood. Darnedest thing I've ever seen. The wife was trying to snag one or 2, and she did but her stuff was 2 lite. They did not react when I started the motor on my boat, and I was right in amongst them. Anybody seen anything like this? Later Andy

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    They seem to do that below Bagnell Dam here in MO after a hard rain. It doesn't happen everytime, but everytime we have seen them like that was after a shower. Talk about having a hey day with the bow fishing equipment. :roll_eyes:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Andy I have I was out there in my boat with ya buddy:wink: I am so fried you all are lucky you left earley:wink:See ya later on fer the next adventure!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    They do that here while spawning in May. It's the best time to bow fish for them. I like to camp on a small island in the James River but in May you can't get any sleep because they try to swim up on dry land all night to help push their eggs out. It makes a heck of a racket all night long.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just ran down the road at lunch and saw a big pile of them next to a field that I guess were taken by bowfisherman. As many as them that are around now looks like you could catch the small ones in throw nets like shad. They must not hang out in the same areas, I haven't ever netted any myself.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is the asian carp what people call grass carp? just wondering about that

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Where's the shotgun and ballbat when you need it. :smile2:

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup asian carps are called grass carp. They was good at cleaning ponds. You could only buy 1 or 2 of the same sex so they didn't breed, but as usual when things get out of hand, s--t happens such as the flood of 93. Now we have a mega problem with no answer in sight. Later Andy

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks... Are there any in Indiana? I wouldnt mind getting some for my pond... they are expensive to buy at hatcheries... I know they're sterile from hatcheries but I'll sort them out and there's no way I'd let them excape from my bigger pond and I'll move the hybrids to the "creek pond" again.... can I find them in Indiana?

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Sounds like your really asking for a big headaches getting those things.

If thier not in Ind by now I'm betting that they will be before long.

As far as catching them in a cast net I did that very thing last sat night over at the dam in Clarksville,Mo.. Small one about 15-17 " long. They was jumping all over the place in the shallower and stiller water.Gonna be a big headache this year.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a 12"er is 15 bucks + special transport fees! other than wild ones reproducing in my pond the hybreds are not a destructive fish in a pond... and keep it super groomed and clean see the pic!
    my other pond is covered with moss!

Attached Files:

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I believe grass carp also know as white armur (spelling?) are what your looking for Pepper and used to help keep ponds clean. Most of the farm stores that sell fish carry them. Asian carp, silvers and big heads are a different invasive species.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok thanks I'm still wondering,,,, do they still do the same work as an armur?

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    As far as I know the asains just eat plankton. So no they wouldnt work I dont believe.

15. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Once, I had to install 'water-coolers '@ a dickey's plant in Eagle Pass,Tx there was a park (sort of) that we had lunch at while we stayed there (EP)for a week, there was a creek that had a damn that was about 3' tall and on the bottom side you could see carp swimming towards the damn trying to go up! (almost like salmon). I even caught one by hand in mid air.

Rubes

16. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am almost certain Grass carp and Asian/Bigheaded carp are two different fish.

17. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's interesting reading. Thanks for posting it. Later Andy

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man I swear... China can't even make a fish thats worth a damn:smile2:
    they're trying to kill us with carp that jump at your head while motoring down the river and lead paint....what next?

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You have a farm & Home round your area or a farmking -round here that is where to get them