Asian carp/big head carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by coorsdrifter, Jul 30, 2006.

1. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    The big head carp has made into Lake Barkley.There is a picture of a 50+ lbs one at Tom & Barbs Bait store in Eddyville.They told me that the person who caught didn't know what it was.Also,the young lady working the cash register swears she caught a bigger one just a couple of days ago,but her husband (not knowing what it was)kicked it back into the lake.These fish are **bad** they will drive all the native fish out.So if you catch one,cut it open and either throw it on the bank or use it for bait,But DO NOT throw it back into the lake alive.I wish I had a picture of one to post,but I don't.If you need a picture of I'm sure someone here can get you one or the Ky fixh/wildlife web site will have one.

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    yeah, they have been in there for several years. The big blues and flatheads love to eat them. They eat mainly plankton, just another food source for our big cats.

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    we catch the crap out of these things in the spring below cannelton dam. they are a blast to catch but the only way to do it is to snag or foul hook them. we kill everyone we catch. my buddy and i even made some small clubs we carry in our tackle bag for this. i have tried them for bait with no luck. they arent bad to eat either. if you like spoonbill( paddlefish) they taste very similar. i read an article earlier this year that said a profitable market has opened up for them here in the u.s. so the commercial fishermen will be keeping their numbers lower. like you said, don't put any back into the water. they are wreaking havoc on the ecosytem in our rivers. here is a pic of a 55 pounder i caught this spring.

Attached Files:

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey demetrius, whats up brother? your right about them being food source for BIG cats but if these things continue to multiply at the rate they are now there wont be any baby cats to grow into big ones. every fish that swims eats plankton as fry. these freakin bigheads can eat there body weight in plankton a day! unchecked, these things will literally starve or rivers out.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I need to make a trip down with a large group of bowfisherman and try to make a dent in them...lol

6. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    The bowfishermen are thick down there at Barkley Dam every night! My brother went down there the other night and said he shot carp till his finger were sore!

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have hooked 3 on my metal bait. Only been able to get one in the boat.

They eat pretty good. You have to fillet around the bones.

Robert

8. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Would like to be able to see the picture. Need 6 more posts after this one though before BOC lets me view it :(

9. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    That's one ugly fish.