Asian Carp Attack!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Grumper, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yesterday, a buddy and I went out on the Mississippi to try to get a good fish in the boat. What I got was unbelievable. First off, we get to the ramp at about 2:00 and head south to one of my bait holes. We head up the creek and start catching a few shad. Then we get into the small asians. After watching Branden and Eric go to work on the blues on Saturday, I had to get some cut asian. So anyway, the little ones started jumping right in. I probably had 15 or so in a matter of minutes. Now...Off to find some fish. I wanted to try a spot where I caught my biggest fish of this year so far. It was in a chute off the Illinois bank. At the time the water was way up, and the current just rips through there. Well, the water was down, probably an average depth of 12-15 ft deep. First I make my way accross the first dam, and head down toward the second. The second, is where I had planned on fishing, well, that's until I got there. I think I may have disturbed just a few asians. I pull in front of the wall, and that's when they attack!! It reminded my of spawning salmon. Probably around hundreds(No Joke!) 20-30lb asian carp come flying over the wall toward me. :angry:You literally couldn't see down river there were so many. I probably go at least 20 in the boat in a few seconds. Heck, I think I got hit in the back at least a dozen times. I pretty much said heck with this, and laid the hammer down and went back up river!! I just wish I had my video camera to catch it all. I've never seen nothing like it. Needless to say my boat needs a bath now. It has a new color. Green asian SLIME!!:big_smile::smile2:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont guess you had a problem with bait did ya bud? :smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Nooooooo....I think I was "bait poor" yesterday. Lets just say that every spot I fished got chummed up real well!!:tounge_out:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey Gary, if you really want to fish that spot I have a motorcycle helmet you are welcome to use. He He He Maybe some shoulder pads.

5. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like one of Cuz's voodoo curses caught up with ya.. :wink:

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You ain't kidding there! I think I'll pass on that spot. I tell ya what, I couldn't get away from them things fast enough. I don't know if I have ever ran my boat that hard or fast before.:confused2: Now...If I could just get catfish to do the same thing......:smile2::smile2:

7. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz was wandering around the back of your boat after we all pulled out the other night. Check for a cherry rolaid as that is rumored to attract the carp.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I don't know if I could tolerate the stinch long enough to even look for it! Let alone digging throught the slime in my bilge. Oh yeah...Did I mention the fly's?:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::confused2:

9. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Prop up the front end, pull the plug and hopefully Kutter will go fishing tomorrow.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    GOOD IDEA!!!!!!! I think I will call him and DEMAND that he goes fishing tomorrow. Lol!!:roll_eyes:

11. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Put a bar of Zote soap up front also. That might get the same thing to happen with catfish.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Gary, surely you aren't taking boat advise from a guy with no boat?

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Someone will be killed by these flying varmits!!! Someone will go flying down river 50mph and will be killed!!! And I believe your hundreds comment cause I seen a school of them I could of walked across river on!!!

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    They're generally found only in slack water or slower current. I've never seen one jump from the channel in the rippin' current. Most places they hang out, you shouldn't be going 50 mph.

15. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Gary, maybe we could all brainstorm here to find a GOOD cleaner that removes that green slim. I’ve done the power washer thing at a car was as well as lots of elbow grease but am looking for a good simple cleaner that’s effective. If anyone has found something, please share what it is… Now back to “the nightmare of the rivers” scenario, people have been hurt and two fatalities are attributed to the asians that I know of. Have experienced the scenario you mentioned :angry: and since then have taken the think safety approach, like wearing my inflatable PFD and try to use the trolling motor as much as possible. Due to such an experience, I now take great pleasure when looking for them for bait and aggravate their spooky nature.. :smile2: have also found you can chase them from an area.
    I enjoy the river too much so have adjusted to this change... now with every asian fillet that catches a trophy blue, I just smile.

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A light combination of spicnspan and bleach works on my "fabled" boat as some say!! It is white fiberglass and not alum like most of the john boats are..

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    There goes that rumor again about Vince having a boat.. He really needs to get professional help so he finally admits that all he actually does is dream of boats every nite..

Gary, does that mean you're offering a big discount on the price of your boat now.. Since it smells so bad now and is all carp slimmed up I'll take it off your hands for the price of cleaning it up... hehehe

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'll give ya a discount. How much $$$$$ you got???:smile2:

19. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you didn't get hurt, Gary. I guess we're either going to start wearing helmets or construct anti-asian deflector cages around our boats to keep these things off of us.

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can I ride in your boat here in a few weeks at the next outing?? Ill even pay your expensive entry fee too!!