Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
These last couple of weeks I've been going kayak crazy. Fishing the upper reaches of the juniata and wearing the bass out!!! I caught 27 on Saturday, nothing big but it was a BLAST on the small gear!

I really want to get down onto the suskie and get into a big flathead from the kayak!! There is something special about being right down on the water and fishing.

I floated over a couple muskies yesterday, one was 40+" and that is an AMAZING sight. It was right under me in 3' of crystal clear water. Like something out of nat geo lol!! I am all the way hooked on the yak fishing. Really glad I made the purchase.

I'm running a pescador pilot 12, it's a bit big for the small waters I'm fishing now, but it's a tank as far as stability. I can very comfortably stand to fly fish and I don't seem to drag much more than my wife in her little 10'. Glad I went with a quality yak right out of the gate.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Some people put cradles on their trailers, cars, trucks for the kayaks to ride in. That means you'll have to lift them into the cradle. Jason puts pool noodles on the crossovers and the kayaks ride flat, very little lifting. No post on the ends of the crossovers to lift over. He has a depth finder up front on the side. A trolling motor on the rear. Battery is a light weight 100 AH strapped behind the seat with charger built into the box lid. The motor controller is in a box to the side on the rail. He's using a pvc pipe connected to the motor to steer now, looking at installing foot pedals. He's a member of some facebook kayak groups that does all that stuff.
I see you're in TX and I don't know fishing/boating regulations there. We are in MS, boating rules that apply to kayaks are; if the craft is less than 16 foot long a PFD must be worn at all times. You can hand or foot paddle any boat without registering it. If you use a sail or any type of motor it has to be registered, hull numbers must be displayed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought an Ascend 10T 4 years ago and have caught a lot of fish in that thing. Probably one of the best purchases I have made for fishing. The one I bought the seat couldn’t be raised and that was kinda a drawback for me, but I made a little platform out of wood I can take in and out pretty easily. I didn’t have any issues with flipping it, until I did this year lol. I was so sure I couldn’t flip it that I was very ill prepared when I did, and lost a rod/reel and my iPhone. That was an expensive lesson that day.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I bought an Ascend 10T 4 years ago and have caught a lot of fish in that thing. Probably one of the best purchases I have made for fishing. The one I bought the seat couldn’t be raised and that was kinda a drawback for me, but I made a little platform out of wood I can take in and out pretty easily. I didn’t have any issues with flipping it, until I did this year lol. I was so sure I couldn’t flip it that I was very ill prepared when I did, and lost a rod/reel and my iPhone. That was an expensive lesson that day.
yep, i lost my propane torch, 2 catfish rod and reels, 3 rodholders a hoodie lol...it was a disaster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yep, i lost my propane torch, 2 catfish rod and reels, 3 rodholders a hoodie lol...it was a disaster.
It was like slow motion lol. I just saw the water getting closer and thought well this seems weird lol. I tried going in for the rod and reel but the bottom is 2 feet of muck and I’m sure it sunk somewhere near where I stood up, or at least tried to. I was 8 feet from shore and was ready to call it a day. Didn’t realize I lost the phone til I got in the truck. Used my GPS on the phone for directions so getting home was interesting and I saw some new scenery as I was driving the wrong direction for a good bit. Lost all pictures of fish I had caught going back a year since I don’t plug my phone into my computer often enough. At least no one saw it happen lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Plant Leaf Hood Automotive tire Road surface
Taped her off and put a can of bedliner on bottom and then pulled tape and painted the sides and added a second can of bedliner on bottom.. I’ve taken it out twice and noticed deep gouges in bottom at front and rear from muscle shells in the clay banks and a few rocks in the shallows.. I’ve carried it to waters edge and back to the truck both times never dragged it anywhere.. that was concerning so I thought it needed some added protection..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts