Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally bought a kayak, been looking and researching them for a couple years now. Looked at several used ones from basic, bare bones to tricked out killer fishin rigs.. I decided to get a new one and Bass Pro Shops had the 12 ft Ascend in “desert storm” (tan camo) on sale so I got me one. My back is better but not 100% so it’s been sitting since Friday.. me and mama decided to take it to Tawakoni this mornin just to get it muddy and wet.. I’m plum tickled with it and have started a list of aftermarket add ons I’ll start next month.. a Humminbird Pirhana Max 4 Di fish finder and some led lights and Scotty rod holders.. should get me started fishing deeper water.. And then this winter I’ll add a trolling motor and that’ll be a done deal.. and I’m looking for a trailer too..
just thought I’d share..
Happy Independence Day Y’all !!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Flint

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Amigo. I like the thought of packing it up in the fall and going down the River for a few days... I see you didn’t raise the seat?.. that’s something else I gotta do.. I can’t leave it low it was brutal on my back and legs this mornin.. that’s the only thing I really NEED to do before I take it fishin... maybe in a couple days I can get it done and try to fish a few hours.. hoping it’s not too tough on my old broken body.. but there’s only one way to find out..

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
If you can weld or know of someone that will do it cheap you can find an old trailer cheap and rebuild it as you wish. My son took the old boat trailer I built years ago and built it kinda like this. 1" pipe instead of square tube.
Amazon.com: Malone XtraLight Base Trailer : Automotive
Rebuilt the hubs and moved from 8" to 12" wheels, trying to get closer to the wheel size on his SUV. It can haul 1 or 2, add a Tee at front and rear crossovers and haul 3 or 4. I bought a pair of side mount toolboxes and he mounted 1 on the tongue for storage. It needs uprights on the end of the rear crossover for him to back it up better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you can weld or know of someone that will do it cheap you can find an old trailer cheap and rebuild it as you wish. My son took the old boat trailer I built years ago and built it kinda like this. 1" pipe instead of square tube.
Amazon.com: Malone XtraLight Base Trailer : Automotive
Rebuilt the hubs and moved from 8" to 12" wheels, trying to get closer to the wheel size on his SUV. It can haul 1 or 2, add a Tee at front and rear crossovers and haul 3 or 4. I bought a pair of side mount toolboxes and he mounted 1 on the tongue for storage. It needs uprights on the end of the rear crossover for him to back it up better.
I have a couple old trailers I built 25 years ago I can use to make a deluxe double kayak hauler..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scotty rod holders, I like them better than some of the other brands. I have 2 up front on my sit-ins, wish I had space for 3 or 4.
On my sit-on I have this.
Scotty Rod Holder - Walmart.com
For space to get my legs under it I bought this.
Scotty #254 Rod Holder Extension SS and Nylon - Walmart.com
Thanks bud.. I’ll be making some sort of mounting bracket for a trolling motor, battery box and gear crate with traveling rod holders for behind the seat and either building or buying a trailer this fall and winter.. I definitely need a double because mama is gettin one soon..

·
Premium Member
6,434 Posts
May not suit your needs but if you have a Harbor Freight in your area they did offer a pre-fab trailer that was less expensive than what I could build one for. They are not heavy duty but would haul a kayak ok, I would think with a little modification it could be designed for two.
I like your new fishing platform, if I still had knees that allowed me to get up without having a hand grab rail to pull myself up I would like to have one also.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts