Asain carp ? question

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cook, May 31, 2008.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thanks Mr.T for your posts.

Occasionally I snag an asian carp at the spillway,sign says no snagging(intentional)all must be released unharmed-is it still illegal to do this?Can't throw it on the bank(wanton waste)it's a bio-hazard,don't keep them there(no snagging)can't release them??

I need a ruling from ya,not a possum cop.

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    tell them its your bait:wink:

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Why don't you just rip there gills out and throw them back. If you take away there lungs there going to die....

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thats exactly what I do when I catch them if I'm not gonna cut them up for bait. stick my fingers in there and pull then flop them back in the water.

5. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    if i'm bank fishing i feed the local coons with trash fish. if i'm in my boat i make sure he's done and won't live long. one day there going to be bad and their be nothing but those bigheads and getting anywhere will be slow plus their only fun once but it's but a problem after that. i hear that its good bait and good to eat but never done either one:smile2::angry::smile2:

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cut them up and use them for chumming if not for bait.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If the sign says no snagging, it means no snagging.

But if you accidentally catch one with a lure while fishing for something else, then you didn't "snag" the fish.

The law says that any fish not hooked in the mouth or jaw must be released unharmed immediately, unless legally taken by snagging, snaring, grabbing, etc.

So if you didn't catch him in the mouth or jaw and if you do anything other than release the fish, you're violating either the rule about releasing fish not hooked in the mouth or you're violating the local rule that says no snagging.

In practice, though, I doubt any MDC agent is going to write a ticket for causing the early demise of any non-native invading species. Legal or not, I've vowed long ago that no Asian carp entering my boat will leave it alive.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats a good question but the rule book for KS says Do not release non native species back into the water. contact your KDWP office if you find any aquatic nuisance species. it says for more info check the dwp website so thats were im heading

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    in my ks rule book " no species listed as a prohibited, threatened, endangered, or in need of conservation may be used as bait."

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. T, sad to say but there will never be a demise to these fish. They are here to stay unfortunately.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've always just let them go-thats the catch-22,can't snag'em/can't release'em:roll_eyes: