As any one else seen this

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Nov 1, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Last Sunday on the way back home from my nephews halloween party. Pam and I spotted 4 deer on the edge of cow path. we stopped and watched for about 10 minutes. The question I have 3 of the deer looked like yearlings with one mother. I have heard and saw mature females with 2 yearlings but never 3. is this possible? They all looked the same size and very healthly

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd say "pretty rare" but anything is possible I guess. Good nutrition and low natural predator pressure..

We see One Momma with several little ones around he house fairly regular . We suspect the young ones just hang out together with a Old doe with fawns in tow.
    They should have been weaned long ago so she probably isn't supporting them full time, Just Baby sitting.

Most of our Does seem to drop the fawns about the same time so the size thing is probably just coincidence.

A spotter happens along once in a while from one WHO got missed first time around.

Don't know, just what we see.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what it could be is someone hit one of the yearlings mother with a car and the another one who already had yearlings kind of adopted it. i know its not common for this to happen, but like Duck said "anything is possible".

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Fawns at any age and young does especially will take up with other does if they lose their mother and "IF" another doe will let them tag along.I learned this from seeing tame and semi tame deer while living rural for most of my 62 years.I planted food plots so the kids could watch them growing up as I did.Deer & dogs have no problem with each other if they are raised around each other and the deer will leave the dogs food alone!It is rare but some animals have such a strong momma instinct that they will mother anything.Most grazers and browsers will not have anything to do with any but their own offspring.I have seen a doe kicking last years fawn while it was trying to nurse along with her new fawn.My sister had a little brown dog that mothered and allowed anything to nurse her.At one time or another she allowed Kittens,Grey fox kit,possum,Skunk,Fawn and other pups.She would even steal the biddies from a hen and thats the truth.My grandmother had a cow that was dangerous as she would hook you.She was put up with because she would let any calf nurse.When she had a calf,Grandma would get 3 more calves from the dairy and raise 4 with her.They also had a prized sow that would accept any pig.Deer not hunted will also "herd up"around good food in the winter.I could stand on my back porch and count 14-17 deer nearly every day and night for most of a winter in a wind twisted unharvestable corn field one very dry winter.That farmers loss was their gain and they took advantage of it.As I worked swing shift and on call in maintenance,I came and went at all hours of the day for nearly all of my life.You see wildlife in all kinds of situations including Fox and Bobcat carrying small puppies,cats and kittens in towns and residential areas.This was before we had Coyotes!Many a missing pet was a meal for them.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Could also be that one of those youngin's are from another doe that got tagged and now is following along one of its "friends". Once they lose their spots, technically, they can live on their own but stick around Till they're pushed out.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Does bred when less than a year of age normally produce a single fawn, with 10 percent of them earing twins. Older does average almost two fawns - 67 percent have twins, 21 percent have single fawns and 12 percent have triplets. This means that about 140 fawns are born for every 100 does in the population.

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    ivw seen four fawns and one mother before

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Watch the cattle in the spring,It's not at all uncommon for a wise old cow to be baby sitting for several younger first year hiefers .

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Twins are seen where I hunt all the time, its not uncommon for them to have triplets either.

10. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    when,food supply is high and predators low ,sometimes does have triplets.