Artificials for bream

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by shellerflat, Feb 24, 2007.

1. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    In the past year I have started to catch some nice bream on small rooster tail rigs. Has anyone else had success on any other small artificials? Which on is the best?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bream hit artificial baits well. Mepps spinners are great in the 0 and size, as are most any small in-line spinner bait. Flyrodding works well, I used to enjoy using popping bugs on a fly rod, great fun.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    gonna be chasin them a little with a flyrod this year in addition to my microlight spinning rod I like the tiny gitzit tubes then i attach one of the tiny snap on spinners that i buy at walmart these are sold in packs of three and come in several sizes they turn a tube or a twister tail grub into a spinner bait

4. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They'll hit any lure. I see them hit large spinner baits on a slow retrieval all the time. The problem is you can't hook them with the larger baits. Guess what I am trying to say is, anything that is tiny enough to fit in their mouth will work. Gills are super aggressive.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I just usually use corn. if i don't have that i'll use any meat, worms, grasshoppers I can find. I use a tiny hook too.

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I have caught tons of them on a curly tail grub. 1 or 2 inch works great and is pretty easy to cast. It seems that they just can't leave that tail alone. The Berkley Power grubs work pretty well. There have been a lot of days where I'll catch gills, bass, and crappie all on the same jig. I like the little inline spinners, too. I have an ultralight fiberglass rod with a lot of whip in it that I can cast those little lures a long way. Makes the little ones feel pretty big, too!:big_smile:

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats what I was gonna say! lol... A lead-head-curlytail-grub on a spinner-rig is killer on gillies! Also those little black & yellow wooden poppers on a flyrod! I like to use the lightest tackle I can get away with so the fight fels monsterous! Thats a great time in my book! :smile2:

My super-secret weapon is a fresh cricket under a bobber using a real long pole!

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Michael
    I fish for them for cat bait had luck on small jigs tipped with small minnows, or worms. If too early to get worms use a small piece of Berkley power bait grub or other style, used under a small float, catch them shallow around weeds. Really good with a little wind. Luck

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    small beatle spin in 1/64 ounce works like a charm.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Method of choice for me is a fly rod using a maggot (no pun intended). Next choice would be a floating foam spider in either popper or not. Heck, any fly with long legs work great on the surface. Crickets are great, too. Now if the bluegills are more than 2/3 ft deep, I'll switch to a nymph.
    As for other than fly fishing, I love to use ultralight rigs with live grubs. Cheese flavored Trout worms, those small 3 inch style, are also great

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    use small jigs tiped with shrimp my favorite is to fish with gnats or ants if you don,t use a fly rod you can useing a ultalight spinner under a small float the clear floats used for trout works very well:smile2:

12. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    You can't beat a kalin, or power grub when the bite is on. Now when it slows down you might go to red worms.

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Small roaster tails are my favorites for bluegills. Also very small tube jigs and these top water grasshopper immating lures are dynamite. Find a day in the summer where the grasshoppers are in full force and tie one of those puppies on and you'll catch bluegills non stop.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I went blue gill fishing in a pond thur. and used only a jig with a red and white tube and caught 8 big gills and some small ones.
    Bill

15. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught my biggest bluegills using a small topwater like a black torpedo. Throw it out there around cover and wait a few before working it back to the boat. I have caught some monster bluegill using it.

16. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Bettle spins work great here in NC. White with the red dot or white or pearl curly tail grubs .Green with the black stripes do ok too.Also poppin bugs work really good also.hard to beat the sound of a big ole bream hittin that poppin bug on a early spring morning:big_smile:

17. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Caught my first Gill on a small Kastmaster while stripe fishing.
    But small grub seem to work best form me.

18. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    We use to catch the heck out of them using ultra light set ups and using poppers little cork looking gizmos dont know if they are still around but the gills love 'em.

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Love using a trolling motor on slow speed with a beatle spin your choice on the color.
    Hang on!

20. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yep, rooster tails and panther martins..