Artificial things for Catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rockbass, Feb 16, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am surious about everyone's experience with catching catfish on artificial baits. I know a lot of us have just happened to catch one on an artificial lure before. I don't want to know if you have caught one, I want to know if anyone use's artificials to catch catfish.
    I have several spots where you have a good chance at catching flatties on artificial lures. While at Cabela's getting hooks to fill a jig order, I saw some Storm Suspending WildEye Swim Shads. I thought they looked awesome for a flattie bait where I normally through lures for them. Normally I catch them on Shad bodies, but I thought these swim shad look too good to not work.

Can any of you give me any tips for catching flatties on artificial lures, and/or on what lures tend to work best? As you can tell, I am itching like crazy to get out and catch some catfish, but unfortunately catfishing won't be getting good in my neck of th woods for quite a while yet.:sad:

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I'm with you in that I have only caught a couple by chance back when I used to ba$$ fish. I can see where they would resemble bait fish(crankbaits) or shad(spinners).

3. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If you are fishing a lake, find some nice timber. Just start jigging like you would for bass. The flatheads in the cover will take the jig. I have seen some nice flatties caught on this method. Trolling a crankbait in the summer will help you get some nice blues and maybe channels while they are on the move in the summer. Kind of like drift fishing. There are some more threads on here about catfish on artificials, if you do a search.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have landed cats with both roadrunners and deep diving crank baits. I have heard of cats being caught on nearly every type of lure depending on season.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have never landed a catfish on purpose with a artificial bait, always by accident fishing for bass

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you guys for the responses so far! I am still hoping I will hear from someone who uses artificial lures to consistently catch flatties.;)

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Rocky, I think you will find it rare that a fishermen will consistently catch alot of catfish on lures. Maybe, just maybe if you were able to locate them and find out exactly what there were after. But they are born to hunt by smell and vibration. Cutting out the smell by fishing with lures will no doubt have a negitave effect on catching them. To add that the motion of a crankbait,. etc just can't mimic a live bluegill convincingly enough for me.... but I'm no fish, what do I know ?

8. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was watching an episode of InFisherman one day and they were throwing some swimbaits and catching flatheads like crazy. They were pretty big swim baits. I seen a Berkley Swim Shad that looks like it would get some of those cats biting if it was paired with a strong jighead.

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah sangamon, I know everyone accidentally catches cats while fishing for other species. I am however wondering if anyone tries for them with artificials. I have one place that I will spend time throwing for flatheads specifically. I have caught and/or had on quite a few large flatheads like this. I ahve not fished the place for a couple years though, but am going to try it for sure this year. I have another spot I like to catfish, and often times see saugeye anglers catching flatheads on grubs. I am also going to try this place for flatties with my new lures. I figure not much difference if I throw one rod with a lure on it and throw the other in with live bait, than just sitting with 2 rods on bottom waiting. I am sure that if I have any kind of success this year with it, I will be talking about it;) :cool:

10. hank_lineage

hank_lineage New Member

Last year i was anchored in an oxbow at night fishing for cats with my son in about 8 ft.. He decided he wanted to bass fish (mainly b/c the limit i set on the amount of times he's allowed to reel in and recast per every other second only applies to catfishing).
    I told him to put on a topwater that made a lot of noise, so he put a chug-bug on. Second cast he hooked a two pound channel. Made my night!

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we were out bassing on day and i saw a big ol cat laid up in the shallow and i could not help but throw a big spinner bait i was using and at first he went away but once it was in deeper water..wham.. he nailed it and i nailed him.best i can rember he was around 5#

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Check this out! This guy catches channels on flys all the time. That fly is a "brown wooly bugger". I bet that is a fight you would not soon forget!

Attached Files:

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I fish for and catch blues below a lock and dam on the Red River all the time. I use home made lead spoons. There are several of us that do this and many times we out fish the cut shad people 2-3 to 1.

14. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I just started last year using spoons to catch channels. I would go to the local dam and walk on the apron, casting into the fast water and reeling in slowly. The fast water gave the spoon it's action, and man did I catch em. The biggest was about 8 lbs. but wow do they hit hard! Sometimes I would cast paralel to the dam and normally got a hit when it crossed some fast water. This dam has large rocks right in front of the apron and the current would go the fastest between the rocks. Most of my freinds did'nt beleive that I could catch cats like that until they went with me. The best spoon that I found was called a "Little Cleo". I also caught some ba$$, gars and perch at the same time. While the river was turning over I slayed them doing this .

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Those good Sassy Shad work wonders.

16. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm gonna try trollin for cats this weekend with my sandbass fishing friend-let you know how it goes-I'll try lil cleo,and sassy shad .

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

On Benbrook lake in Texas we would use slabs/spoons to catch catfish drift fishing. Half the poles would be shrimp and the other half Spoons and it work great

18. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    catfish find there food by smell the majority of the time and you are not going to have the smell of live or natural fish with artificials. In my opinion leave the artificals for the bass fisherman. They will always waste there money on anything that comes on the market in hopes of haveing something that might catch a 5 lb fish.

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have caught many channel cats over the years fishing for crappie and white bass, mostly on rooster tails.