Artificial Structure?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We all pretty much know that flatties are partial to certain underwater structure. I have read that they can be found on rocky bottom from time to time but the most common talked about type is wood piles or log jams. Here's my question, how many live in states where it is legal to set up places that you think might attract fish? I have heard of folks submerging old Christmas trees after the holidays to attract all sorts of fish. Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work? My buddy and I were thinking about doing this (after ensuring that its legal). Then marking it on the GPS. The logic is that it might pay off in the colder months here when we cant seem find fish anywhere else. What do you guys think?

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Over the years I've put alot of trees. It's about 50/50. I also put out other structure such as plastic 30-gallon barrels. Not easy sinking them. I would like to sink bigger structure but the main problem is getting it out there.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I know for a fact that it will work for crappie. Not sure about cats though. Seems like you would have to have a lot more stuff for the cats to hang there. Be interesting to see what everyone else says.

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive heard that Christmas trees attract crappie big time. I was thinking that the structure would call in the gills and other bait fish which would in turn call in the catfish?

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont know about structure for flatheads but we sink x-mas trees for crappie

but concrete sure does lure the flatheads to it so maybe some old concrete blocks would help

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    We sunk tires in our pond when I was a kid. Was told it was for nesting areas for the channel cats.

Your logic seems sound... provide the bait and the predator will come. Sort of like a more natural chumming :big_smile:

7. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree, if it brings the bait it should work. Flats are such good predators that they should frequent any area that fills there stomachs. Great idea I think.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I"ve caught alot Flathead catfish around the brushpiles that have been put down by Crappie fishermen. Also do well fishing the riprap rock put down on the banks.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would think It might help to put enough structure in the area so the flaties have shade to be in through the day time as well. In early morning I have caught flat-head in the shade of the treeline as the sun came up. As the shade line moved so did the flaties. Hope this helps

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks everyone. I am going to research wether this is legal or not with the state fish and game.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a great idea. I really support artificial structure if it is natural. I am not a big fan of the plastic containers, sorry bro.

It is my thought that in a medium-large river that artificial cover is going to wash to a "normal" collection point with the first high water. If there is no structure there now, then there is a reason.

This idea would be great for areas with less current or lakes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

12. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not sure if this will help you out. If legal in your state.
    Take 2 55gal metal barrels, tops off of both. Cut out the bottom of one. Lay them against each other making a long tube. Drill holes below the lip of each one, use heavy wire to tie them together. You with need be sure the wire is senched tight. Inside, the very back of tube, secure a cender block through holes you drill and the wire. Repeat with another one at the front of tube. Done with that part. Now, put some holes in various places through out, with one about fist size in the closed end for water flow. Now, We usely dont have Christmas trees this time of year so find some hardwood limbs, lots of them and secure them to the out side using a lighter wire. The perfect habitat is ready to be submerged.
    Note: This shoule be prepaired at home and assembled on the bank near where your going to drop it. Needs to be placed in slow to calmer currents. Most important---dont tell where you 'secret' place is.
    It works!!!!!

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks Bill. Dont worry we dont plan on telling anyone where the spot will be except for a maybe a few brothers on here:wink:. Im still waiting on word back from the state wether it's legal or not to do it. I did some research last night and didnt find anything yet so I sent an email to one of the local wardens.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would think it should work, if its legal. here its not so i wouldnt know for sure:0a10: