Artificial Lures for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead willie, May 26, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've heard of some guys around here useing those big rubber fish jigs (looks like Shad) for Flatheads. Has anyone in BOC tried them with any luck? I've caught Channels on Shad Raps and even got them on a Mepps spinner.

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The only flat ive ever seen caught on artificals was about 9# caught on a worm when my brother was bass fishing.

Ive caught a few channels on spoons and a minnow lure.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i tried last year a few times but this old dog dont like new tricks. lol ill give it a hole harted(get it? hole ha ha) try today and see if i can get one to go. we are aloud three rods so ill fish two live or cut the other ill work. i bought some this winter on a trip to cabalas nice big ones too. ill report sometime before midnight i hope.

i have also caught channels on lures,cranks jigs and spinners. the flaties should eat them if its in there face.

4. KansasCat

KansasCat New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    there is an infisherman episode during the winter when doug uses the big shad lookin artificals and he catchs bit flatheads out of the deep holes

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I've talk to a few bass guys at the launch that caught huge flats on spinnerbaits working the bottom. I would imagine with the way the swimbait are today being such quality they might work near the bottom. the problem might be the price if lost to a snag. sliding sinker swivel and a hook is pretty cheap to loose. the spinnerbait is fairly weedless.

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    one time my neighbor took me on the river to pre fish for a B@ss tourny and he nailed a flathead flippin tubes :)

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I saw the In-Fisherman episode where they claim to catch Flatheads with artificials. It looked like they were snagging dormant Flatheads in the winter. It was a lame video from some guys that usually do much better, in my opinion.
    Yes, guys occasionally catch a Flathead on a artificial bait but no one does it on purpose. At least, not to my knowledge.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes, people do it on purpose. They regularly catch 25-30 lb. flatheads on Lake Norman in the dead of winter, fishing 30 ft. of rocky-bottomed water, vertical jigging. With what you may ask? A custom made lure from Tackle Town in Denver, NC called a Tackle Town jigging spoon - it's a steel spoon with a rattle chamber built inside. I can get VHS tapes as evidence of this.:big_smile:

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well i couldnt bring myself to fish the jig very long. it was a slow bite and figured i better get another chunk of bait in the water. i will keep trying and my brothers n sisters will be the first to know when i get hooked up.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Once... while I was using shad and not doing well, the guys next to me were using med. spinners and catching channels. I never tried it.

11. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've actually caught a flathead on a rattling trap at a lake near the house.