artificial baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bomber, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    Has anyone had sucess catching any catfish with artificial baits. I have heard of people bumping spoons off the bottom before. Any advise woulod be appreciated.

2. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    Flatheads are occasionally caught on artificial baits due to their preference of live bait. I used to catch a few when I fished for bass. It is more common to catch in the Spring than any other time that I've noted but I wouldn't recommend it as a viable method/choice for catfishing.

Shayne

3. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i catch alot of catfish bottom bumping spoons all winter long!! it's fun because you catch alot of other fish also!! use 1/2 ounce berry spoons! but you must be marking fish on your fish finder. good luck!!

4. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    That is good to know....and the great thing about the BOC because I just learned something that I never would have considered. Thanks.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    My first flathead was caught on a bass lure, imitation diving minnow. He was 10lbs.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try a Manns 20+ and 30+ crankbait in crawdad color. Worked slow in contact with bottom. Can bring some good rewards. I hope this helps.

7. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Last year on moultry out in front of the dam I saw 2 boats fishing for strips with hoppkins jigs/spoons about 2oz size(moving around my anchored boat)catch several blues bigest about 15-18lb while i didn't get a hit using cut bait. Really strange and makes you feel bad like your doing everything wrong for that day.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    In Florida during the summer I have caught many channel cats on white buck tails jigs...think they were called flair hairs, if I'm not mistaken. I fished through the fence at the spill way. I was only around 2-3 feet deep and I would just throw it out where the water came out, it would whip by me and then do it over and over. It actually worked well at times.

-Jim-

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    There's several guys fishing Kerr Lake in the summer by trolling spoonplugs and rooster tails. They catch a whole lot of blues at times. I'm talking forty or fifty cats per day!

10. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I read an article a few years back I think in In Fisherman that mentioned a video where the guy caught catfish trolling some large deep diving crankbaits. The video was called "Trolling with Tag." The guy's name was Tagtmeyer I believe, can't remember his first name. I think the baits were Mann's but I'm not sure on that. I still haven't been able to find the video to see how this was done. Maybe some of you guys have heard of or seen this video.

11. Bad Dog

Bad Dog New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bomber crankbaits work very good when trolled at the mouth of the canal at santee.met some guys from tenn. that were doing this.they were catching more than us drifting.they caught several over 40lbs.