Artificial baits for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by creature19_99, Sep 20, 2006.

1. creature19_99

creature19_99 New Member

State:
    Pikeville, Kentucky
    have any of you ever heard of artificial fishing for fladheads? I have heard that medium to large swim baits work wonders on cats, muskee, and even hybrid stripers.

anyone have anything to add on this?

Brandon

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cats are often caught on artificial lures of all types. As for the muskee and hybrids, that is the bait of choice for many fishermen. Vern

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I caught a number of channels trolling crankbaits this summer. They work well.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've seen the guys off of In-Fisherman use large swimbaits in the winter time by vertical jigging them in the wintering holes for flatheads...it worked very well for them but they were right on top of them and were guided by a local.

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I saw the In-Fishermen show and it was way substandard to most of their stuff. It almost looked like they were snagging wintering flatheads. Poor, poor sportsmanship.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Flatheads have been caught on lures.

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I watched a guy land a forty pound flathead on a small walleye jig in a tailwater one day. I hear of similar happenings every now and then but I've never caught one that way myself.

8. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never done it myself, but recently I watched a man pull up a 10 pounder on a crawfish crankbait.

9. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Yeah you can catch flatties on artificals. One methods is to use large 3-4" grubs (white or yellow)or crankbaits behind spillways in the riprap. Another technique which can be very productive is to fish grubs and crankbaits along riprap usually found on the "lake side" of the dam and around bridges during the spawing period. The key to both these techniques is to have your grub or crankbait hiting the rocks on retrieve.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    There was a 40 Lb flat head caught last year at Homes county state park In MS on a plastic worm:big_smile:

11. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I caught a small channel on a little white tube jig

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    theres is a small lake i fish for bass. i have caught a couple of small cats from it using a plastic worm intended for bass. they will bite the artificals but natural bait is the way to go

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    One time I caught a 19.9# Flattie on a 4" pumpkinseed mister twister. I was fishing for crappie with a 5'6" rod, ultralite mitchell reel that had 4 lb test on it. It took me almost an hour to get him in because of the lite line. That is one catch that I will never forget and always brag about.

Wheelmobile07

14. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive caught a 10 pound channel jiging a rubber worm

15. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Never tried it before. Glad to hear the responses though. I just purchased some 7" and 9" shad swim baits to give it a try.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Caught a flat head yesterday on a 1 1/4 oz sauger jig tipped with a minnow.
    And we catch a lot of them during the winder months while sauger fishing.
    And the hook is in the mouth also.
    Pete

17. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I seen on an In-Fishermen show where they were useing bass jigs

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The In-fisherman guys pointed out in the video that some of those wintering-hole flats looked like they were snagged but the majority were hooked in the mouth, Most all were hooked near the mouth like they had tried to hit the bait. Remember they are cold and slow.The way they showed the jigging it was fast and verticle, not dragging a bait into flats on the bottom. As for warmer water I have caught flats and channels on crankbaits. My favorite is a dd22 in shad pattern with rattles inside. In deep water I fish it fast to get down deep under the lowhead dams around here.On the shallow flats 3 to 5 ft deep I just cast it out and reel till it bumps bottom then keep that slow retrieve going, hitting bottom every 2 to 3 feet. If there are any flats around they will hear that and come running.