Artificial bait

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by DeerHunter01, Mar 31, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ed for catfish, I would not suggest using artificial bait brother, unless you are using something that holds stink bait or punch bait.

I would be looking at live bait or cut bait for catfish, now if your bass fishing thats a different story. You would need to tell us a little more.

2. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Eds,

I have tried stink baits here but the current is WAY too strong. Until recently we have had the most success with the simple nightcrawler. But the last few weeks the cats have been "asking" for shrimp!!!

3. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    What sort of boats do you guys use on the MS River. I put in at Natchez many years ago, and man, that sucker is swift. I hated to even back my truck down that ramp. I had actually worked on the river below Baton Rouge when I was younger, but we were on a tug or barge, and you just don't realize how big it is until you get in a fishing boat.

Will

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Willie-
    We fish beloow Baton Rouge. We use 22 ft boat, Ed, at St Francisville uses one about the same size. We've seen everything from small jon boats in the back of a pickup to about our size with a trolling motor. One problem is lack of ramps. Ive seen lots of ave size bass boats and larger bateaus. I, personally would not be comfortable with anythin much smaller than what we use. Once in a while those pointed nosed tugs go by and give you a good ride with their wakes even with our boat. It just isn't worth taking a chance. At a spot we frequently put in, there are a couple of work boats and the operators have told us of drownings in their area by swamped small boats. In any case, non of the boats you can put on a trailer is any match for a barge, tug, work boat or big tree floating down the river. Just need to be alert and careful.

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I catch big Blues on a 3 inch saltwater silver spoon. Below Lock and Dam #5 on the Red River, guys will throw those spoons in the boiles below the flood gates and reel them back in through the tailrace of the dam. We have to use 14-15 surf rods to get the spoons out there but 20, 30, and 40 pound fish caught on a regular basis. I have seen a few 50 and 60 pound fish pulled out as well. You have to use light line to cast the spoon a "country mile" but it is fun to fight a big fish in the current hooked on 12 pound test.

6. duckU

duckU New Member

State:
    La
    When do that snag those fish at lock and dam 5? Do they snag any Op or is it all Blues?

7. duckU

duckU New Member

State:
    La
    Does anyone jug fish under lock and dam 5?

8. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bulldaddy, i hear that in the tourney they are allowing fishing from the bank. Are you going to be fishing below the lock and dam with a spoon on tourney day?

9. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I don't know Tony. It is a blast to real in a big one on 12 pound line.

Ducku, I have seen those guys down there snagging but I have never seen them snag anything but a few big shad and a couple of Buffalos.