Artifical crappie habitat

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by r_bray89, Feb 23, 2006.

1. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    does anyone know of any crappie habitats i want to try them out this year tahnks for anty tips or pics.

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    fish in and around brush piles crappie tend to susupend in the brush to keep away from predatory fish such as flatties

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would be interested in that information also, as I have a good place to do it, provided it dont break any laws! I searched the B.O.C. library, but didnt see any articals. I do seem to remember it being discussed.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    sorry about my previous post i didnt notice the artificial. but there are little crappie houses that you can build to submerged in the lake. i have often used cinderblocks tied to a long pvc pipe that has little extensions on it to which i put cut up bleach jugs on these extensions in the end it looks like a large white plastic christmas tree it looks kind of stupid at first but it does put crappie in the area

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    personally we tend to use natural habitats here in the local lakes i wouldnt use plastic do too litter but to each his own . my brother and i recently cut a couple of trees and dropped them in a nearby lake cedar or pine trees seem to work well in the winter time ,but in the summer you can cut and place trees with large leaves such as oaks or sycamores and place them the leaves tend to stay on for quite sometime in the water , the more limbs on the tree the better you can slide concrete blocks up the trunk and down the top and drop it in from the boat at desired locations .

6. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ka everything on mine is tied off and nothing is ever left behind that would litter the area plus i usually map the location on a gps unit so if i ever needed to take it out of the water i could

7. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use PVC, call them Crappie Condo's.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Ronnie, welcome to the B.O.C. It's the best fishing site on the internet!

9. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    alright guys thanks for the stuff and i will have to try that stuff out this year and hope that it works. we use alot of christmas tress and other stuff but wanted to try out and artificial one this year. ill get back to you guys when it is all said and done. :)

10. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Deltalover,
    I grew up in Oakland and San Leandro Ca and fished Whiskey Slew in Trace and we caught a cooler full of cats each time we went. The cat weren't big but we sure caught a lot. I live in AZ now but have those great memorys when I was a kid. Is it still good cat fishing in Tracy? We use to get 3 or 4 bags of clams and fish all night. We also caught an acasional Striper.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I sank some willows not to long ago, must have put em in a good spot, every time I go theres somebody sittin on my spot. Next time I sink some it will be in the dark.
    I sank some last some last year and aint found em yet.

12. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks Deltalover, I tried posting a picture of my crappie condos but the size was not allowed. I dont know how to downsize my picture to post it.

13. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    One way to make one without a lot of effort is to use a five gallon or three gallon plastic bucket, I like three gallon. Pour a bag of ready mix cement into bucket. That is after you mix it with the water. Then stick PVC pipe into the cement in all directions, different lengths, 3/4 or 1/2 or mixed, Let is dry. Leave the bail on the bucket and you can fish them out with a small grapple to move them. Oh, if you are think it will turn on it side you can glue some 45’s on, put them around the edge of the bucket. Make like spider legs.
    Good fishing
    Joseph

14. sam9266

sam9266 New Member

State:
    Albany, GA
    Hey Guys....

Its been a looong time since Ive posted.. just dont make here that much anymore. I used to have more play time at work for this stuff but things here have changed.
    Anyway....

We just made some up and dropped them last month. Ive attached pics.. first time attaching pics here.. hope it works. We like to use the square milk crates, 80lbs of concrete in each one and various lengths of PVC pipe and Bamboo mixed. The Bamboo helps it stay up right under water due to all the air trapped in each bamboo section. When using just PVC we drill holes in the tops of several of the pipes and attach empty anti-freeze jugs to help hold the condos upright. The square milk crates have a larger surface area on the bottom than 5 gallon buckets and also have a lower profile and tip over a lot less than buckets do. When useing Bamboo 80 lbs of concrete is the min. to keep it down good.

We put them out in groups of 4 to start a new area then if that area really pays off we will add to it the next year. We put them far enough apart so that there is sevweral feet of clearance between the outmost reaches of each one which usually means a square of about 25' X 25'. We just put out 25 of them last month.. kinda late in the year but wreather worked against us this year. When I say weather.. I mean WIND. We would rather out them out on a cold cloudy day in December as lond as the wind isnt blowing .. that way a lot fewe fishermen are out and you can do this in "STEALTH MODE".....
    just like our catfish holes.. the fewer people who know about them the better they are !!!

Good Luck........ Sam

Attached Files:

15. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    tie some wood pallets together and sink them so they stand on end,use 3 or 4. i heard that works good. you can also stick some brush in them

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    MS lakes can only be set with natural items for habitate. Can't use tires, metal or plastic.

17. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Hey TDPASSER,
    I used to live down the road from Oakland in the town of Fairfield and worked at Mare Island shipyard for twenty years. Spent a lot of time fishing the delta and the bays especially for sturgeon. Not live in Oklahoma and fishing cats and crappie.

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    This is what I do. I think the best is bambo but we don't have any in Indiana. I have been using pvc pipe in buckets. Hooks wont stick in pvc. I get 3' to 5' pieces from dumpsters. Yeh dumpster diving. I then put 4 or 5 of them in a bucket and and add concrete. I then center the pipes and lean them to the sides. With one sticking straight up. I try to put them in water 7 to 12' deep. NEVER in front of docks! I am scared someone will jump off the dock and land on them. I sink 6 to 8 of them at a time. I have found that sinking just 4 does not seem to attrack alot crappies. Some in the shade some in the sunlight. I let them sit for 1 month so the algie covers them then I fish. The pvc does not show up well on regular fish finders well. So remember where you put them. If you have side image you have it made.
    Also talk to your local CO to make sure whatever you sink is leagal. I did. One more thing to think about is if you sink the structures with people watching you have wasted your time. I had 8 structures in my boat one day and people were turning around to follow me to see where I would sink them. I do it now early morning or late evening.
    Bill