artifacts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got bored yesterday and decided to go find a few artifacts. My first discovery was a VERY RARE atlatl weight, but unfortunately broken in half. Had it been whole it would have been worth about $1000. I have two whole ones. The atlatl precedes the invention of the bow and arrow in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

Anyhow, the rest of the hunt was uneventful and I only found a few broken points and one preform. For some of you folks who may not have seen our collection, here is a link to a few of our artifacts.

http://www.dirtbrothers.org/gallery/bristow/

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    That Atlatl is awesome! Great find Bill!

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have a farm in SE Mo. and on one small hill next to the river we have foung several full grooved axes, lots of small points (2 1/2" or less) lots of chips, a couple grinding stones, 1/2 of a bannerstone, and a lot of "stuff". Mo. state univ. dates my site at 3000 BC. (5000 yrs.).

We have kept every piece and they are usually a high point of family gatherings.

It is a huge thrill to be the first person to touch the artifact in 5000 yrs. I can sit on that hill and almost "feel" what it was like.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <It is a huge thrill to be the first person to touch the artifact in 5000 yrs. I can sit on that hill and almost "feel" what it was like.>

Man, that does get ya goin', doesn't it? I can be riding in the car and come to a place where I have never been, and feel that it is a location of Native habitation. I often stop to investigate and 99% of the time, I find evidence of early man. Having done it for so long, it is almost second nature now to ID an ancient site.

Bill in SC

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd think that stuff would be such a needle in the haystack it would never be found- thats amazing Bill!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for sharing the nice collection. If they could only talk what interesting stories we would hear.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great find Bill, It's a great feeling when you find an artifact you know hasn't been touched for 1000s of years....:cool2:

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is truley awesome. Very nice collection. Thanks for shareing.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Bill, here is my collection I've found over the years, but I am no expert on what they are...., you see anything good in the bunch???

Attached Files:

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I used to hunt artifacts and I have a few nice pieces..most of the ground around here anymore isn't plowed so it makes it tough to find em..sure is alot of fun..Bill thanks for sharing the pics you got some quality pieces there.

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for sharing your collection, I love artifacts and early history of Indian civilization. Cool collection :cool2:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anytime you have a part of ancient history,they are ALL good, Mike! Nothing stands out as rare, but it is a nice group. Thanks for sharing.

Bill in SC

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So Bill, were do you stand on the great atlatl weight / banner stone debate? What were there purpose and are they the same. I have never found a slate piece here, but would dearly love to...:big_smile:.

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Bill has seen these, but I could'nt resist posting them again.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  17. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Seems like more people are interested than I thought.

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Dad told me when he was a kid they would poke around under the local bluffs above the creeks when the fishing was slow and get some nice heads ..Since then those bluffs have been dug hard and its rare to find a good point the grinding holes are still there and I know of one thats is elbow deep in a huge rock.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess I lean towards them being used as an atlatl weight. There is just not anything else I can think of as a purpose for them. Certainly there was good mojo for individuals who made nice ones. As far as them being ceremonial pieces, I just don't see that. I had one that I sold that I wish I had kept. It was made of some stone with a lot of mica in it. It had been broken in half, then re-drilled and polished in an odd shape. It was really an unusual piece, and I don't think it could have been used as an atlatl weight due to it's odd shape. BTW: NICE pics posted by all, and I hope there are more contributions to this thread.

Bill in SC

20. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Send me a PM some time. My grandmother owns property next to one of the largest Native villiges ever found in NC. I used to play with axes etc when I was a kid not knowing what they were.
    Only after deer season please..LOL