artifacts around the Santee?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hi folks,
    Need to make my tenth post so I can PM. I know this is a fishin' forum, but I want to go off topic a moment if that's OK. I've heard that since the Santee was so low, folks were picking up arrowheads and related artifacts around the exposed edges. That is another passion of mine. does anyone have any info on the subject?
    http://dirtbrothers.org/gallery/bristow/
    BB in SC

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    :crazy:WOOAAHHHH Bill, make sure that the property you or whoever is searching for these Indian artifacts is not managed or owned by the South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources(SCDNR) or a Wildlife Management Area (wma). If so and you are caught removing these artifacts, It carries a steep fine. Never been fined but have been scolded by a couple of wardens and told not to be doing this anymore. South Carolina Rulues n Regulations book, page 33, 1st sentence, General Regulations. Happy hunting if you can.

3. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've heard that you can get fined up to $10,000 for removing artifacts from Santee Cooper Lakes. Be careful.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice collection, Bill.

The skill of those ancient knappers just amazes me. How in the keck do they form the inside angles like at the base of some of those heads?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hmmm... never thought it would be illegal. I wasn't speaking of digging or anything. Just surface hunting. I could understand if it were sacred burial grounds or reservation land. Oh well, if the fish ain't bitin', I may poke around there some if I get down there while the water is still low. Don't know who told me lots of artifacts were turning up down there with the low water. Be a heap better documented in a private collection rather than being submerged to never be seen. Wonder when that law was implemented? Back in the '60s we sifted out over 500 points from DNR managed Lake Wallace here in Bennettsville, when the dam blew out. Heck the game wardens watched and were amazed. Then, about 12 or 14 years ago, they lowered the lake to do some dam work. My wife and I sifted out 37 more, with game wardens watching. Lots of folks were diggin' and siftin'. No official said a word to the contrary.
    BB in SC

6. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    except the francis marion national park. State lands are ok...

later..
    Ron

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm totally confused. The article says:

<Visitors are encouraged to look for arrowheads and other artifacts on the surface of the shoreline or lake bed as long as they leave them in place for others to enjoy.>

Does this mean if you find a $10 gold piece you have to leave that too? :) What a crock of el toro poo poo!!

Seriously, if it's law, I certainly would not want to violate, and I guess if and when I return to the Santee, it will be for fishin' purposes only. I do find it totally crazy that you CAN set up a full fledged diving expedition in the Cooper River with TV documentation, to remove valuable Clovis era paleo artifacts and prehistoric mammoth bones. There are also documented ancient timber removal expeditions from the Cooper for PROFIT. Yet you CAN'T pick up and keep an arrowhead around a dry Santee lake bed? This is totally beyond my comprehension, but then, many of our governmental "restrictions" are totally incomprehensible. I am a total supporter of game laws, and in general, lawfulness but this "takes the cake". Today, somewhere, another your your's and my "rights" will be taken away. Then tomorrow, the same thing will happen. Pretty soon none of us will have any rights! It was perfectly fine to come her and KILL all the ancient inhabitants, but you can't pick up anything they left behind. When will the madness stop? If I live to be 200... Sorry for the rant and yes I'm pissed. Just another day in paradise. :) Thanks for the article to clarify the post. Let's go fishin'!!!
    Bill in SC

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess when "they" start coming around collecting everyone's guns, just maybe folks will wake up. But then... maybe they won't.
    BB in SC

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Oh... and don't forget your seatbelt, you may just hurt yourself.
    BB

11. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Great collection Bill, thankx fer sharing..........

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Dont feel bad bro... when lake highrock went down 20 something feet a few years ago here you couldnt even walk out there on the lake bed for teh above reasons. Really its the same way with shed antlers on a state park. I was told whats on a state park stays on a state park. NC released elk in the mountains and a visitor picked up a shed one day and showed it to another visitor which in turn told the warden which issues him a ticket for 350.00 and took the shed. They now have the both sheds on display to the public.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I carried around a old blood red indian arrowhead I found on the Ogeechee river years ago (for good luck).........after about two years of missing more deer than I ever had, heart attacks, and a boat load of general bad luck......I chunked it back where I found it. Figured the old injun that made it probabally fell on it and it was cursed. Next day I hit 100 bucks on a scratch off...

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wow! That's completely crazy getting charged for a shed antler! The only possible thing a shed antler would be good for lying on the forest floor would be a meal for a squirrel or mouse/rat. It's a shame our governments are so broke that they have to subject people to such bull crap. I could start a whole 'nother rant, but I don't want to work myself up over it tonite! :)
    BB in SC

15. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I agree with you totaly Bill. I too have been scoulded several times on several WMA's here in Arkansas for looking for artifacts, luckily they didn't search my pockets, lol. There was this one place where I would find them in the middle of the roadway after a good rain, and if I hadn't picked them up they would have been run over and broken into hundreds of little pieces never to be looked at and appreciated again.

don3778

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Here's the solution to the problem. Purchase a SC hobbyist license from the South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology for $18.00 for 2 yrs. This covers you legally and what you find is yours. Even if it is a coin worth a Millon. This license covers anything below the full pool water line. You may have to let them study your artifacts. But you get them back with all paper work. Remember this. With out this license everything there belong to the State.:wink:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good idea Pop. My dad, rest his soul, used to have such a permit. We sent a lot of stuff back and forth with the University. Might just have to explore that avenue. Thanks for the tip as I had forgotten about that!
    BB in SC

18. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I never new such a thing existed, but now that I do: break out the picks and shovels::::::: let's go rock huntin' $18 sounds much better than $10,000.