article in the star today

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by old newbie, Oct 23, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
  2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the post brotha

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I wouldn't bet on it...W

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
  5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    It does...surprisingly! Fishing license $$ (and the kick-back from the federal excise tax on fishing, hunting & marine equipment for each IN license sold) pays for fisheries management, fisheries research, hatchery activities, and biologists' salaries. It's dedicated $$ so even when the economy tanks, if license sales are still good, the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife still has money to continue fishy operations as normal. HOWEVER, when the governor decides to cut budgets by X%, the Division of Fish & Wildlife still has to cut it's budget even though they are not affected by the "state" not having cash...or needing cash. But, the DNR still has to make this cut so the public perception is that the state & DNR are not being wasteful in these tough economic times.

The crazy thing is, I heard the governor wants to cut something crazy like 2000 state jobs before leaving office. Three District Fisheries biologist retired this summer. Only one of those positions is being retained. The other two are being scrapped. So, up north, it looks like Districts 3 & 4 will be combined and then down south District 8 will be combined with District 6 and/or 7. So, even though license sales are up 8% & the Division of Fish &
    Wildlife has more money to work with, our fisheries management will suffer b/c there will be less people to do the work. I know up north here, the D4 biologist who retired did quite a bit of stream/river work as well as work on the Upper Wabash Reservoirs (major catfish fisheries up here). That work will be virtually nonexistent under the direction of the biologist who inherits D4.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the educated input Matt!

article quote - "[Officials said one reason fishing is becoming more popular could be because the slumping economy may give people more time to enjoy outdoor activities.]"

i bet its more for food than fun!!! i had two families taking any fish n game i could spare to feed their families last winter! im afraid ill be feeding my family from the woods n water this year!!!!

7. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    So that was kind of a good news bad news post:wink: Thanks Matt it always nice to have someone in the know reply.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the post and the link

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    My question is; since when has the state of Indiana ever gave a real interest in the natural resources of Indiana? For the last 30 years they have cut services, employees, life time licenses, access to hunting and fishing, so why would anything be a surprise unless it was an increase in workers, their wages, recreation areas and especially clean water. There is no river in Indiana that does not have a consumption warning for the fish in it. Next thing you know they will limit the number of fish you can take.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    [Next thing you know they will limit the number of fish you can take.]

and that would be a bad thing? this states catfish regs. are way out dated. look at the regulations for some of the other states,and you will see a trend in conservation. Idianas current regulations allow idiots to decimating every trophy cat form our smaller rivers(whether to eat or sell!). that rite there is a shame. with the pollution,we have here, they should have a minimum size on all cats period!!!!! something like,"no cats over 24" can be removed from our waters"(commercial or recreational). a reg like that would give up loads of big cats to catch in 10 years!!! a plus in my book,sir.

11. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Right on Tim!!

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    And that is why I am moving out of this state when I graduate in May. Its too bad they got a good thing going on the Ohio River. Hopefully, Kentucky and the other states keep up their good work. Way to go Indiana!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey, I think the one biologist position is already posted...or will be soon. In District 1 stationed at Kankakee FWA