Arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by C Hill, Oct 29, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    recently gotta new bow and am needing some good arrows. i want aluminum because every time i get carbon they bust on me. im shooting a 27" draw length and 60# draw weight reflex bighorn. i will also need broadheads. im thinking about giving mechanicals a try. any ideas on arrows or broad heads?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i dont have any advice on aluminum arrows since i shoot carbons without any trouble, only time ive had to throw an arrow away is when i cut into it with my broadhead. for broadheads i like Trophy Ridge Steelheads in 100 gr. they are nice and arnt to hard to open like some mechanicals. I went to walmart and bought the 3 differnt arrows i thought looked and felt the best for my bow and tryed them out and choose which one i liked the best and i now use Wolverine Hunter 6070 carbons. I have about 15 now.

3. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I use Easton XX78 Super Slam. They have the uninock system. Easton has some newer ones but I have been using these for years. Get your arrows from a pro shop so you get the right length and spine. And for broadheads, I don't like the mechanical. Too many stories about them not expanding on impact. I prefer a 3 blade fixed broadhead. There are a lot of different ones out there. I use a Wasp hammer SST 100gr. I want to try the cut-on-impact style. They are supposed to have the best penetration.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    can't help on the aluminum arrows, but i have been using 100gr. sidewidner mechanicals for yrs..i would recommend them to anyone!! rollo

5. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    aluminum arrows are actually less derable because they bend. but if you want some i would try easton.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    aluminum arrows are a thing of the past. carbon arrows dont bend. if your breaking carbon arrows and not aluminums chances are your shooting bent arrows. when an aluminum arrow takes an impact that would break a carbon arrow it just flexes and bends it. aluminum arrows also flex badly upon release, where carbons do not, causing erratic flight. in short carbon arrows are more accurate and more dependable..

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also use sidewinders. but, if you're bow dont shoot super fast, you dont need mechanicals. mechanical broadheads are for true flight where an open broadhead will grab air and plane. meaning wind created by such a fast flight will take them off target. theres also a drawback to mechanicals. if your shooting through a lot of brush or grass, a mechanical, with the bladed folded forward will catch the smallest piece of grass or whatever and totally change the flight path where an open broadhead will just deflect it a little.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Cant go wrong with easton xx75's (I shoot a 27" arrow & 65 lb draw) with some muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadheads.

9. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    Just got some arrows last nite and thats what i got. still havent got broadheads yet. ive been hearin things about the mechanical's blades breakin of real easily. has anyone used the crimson talons or anyother crimson broadheads? im thinkin about goin with either those or muzzys.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I made the switch to carbons years ago, so can't be much help with aluminums, Eastons are the norm. Just curious to why you are breaking carbons? I have broke a few by accident but very rarely. If you hit something that will break a carbon it will also break or bend an aluminum. The thing I like about carbons is they are either straight or broke, they don't bend.
    As far as broadheads Muzzy 4 blades or Magnus Stinger 2 blades are both awesome. I've smoked a bunch of deer and hogs with them. The Magnus will just about shoot exactly where your field points shoot from my experience.

Good Luck
    mike

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    yeah, i like the crimson talons, but id go with spending the money on Muzzy MX-4 i just traded one of my friends my NAP machanicals for his muzzy MX-4s. The replacement blades are easier to get and they sell practice blades you can use on a target all day long and still have the same performance as the regular blades. IMHO go with the Muzzy MX-4. I shoot 100 gr. and i can shoot them accurately up to 40 yards. And they come out of the package razor sharp to so no need for alot of sharpening. Hope this helps. Good luck

12. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    i like the thunderhead 100s

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've shot XX75's for more than 20 years and don't have any problem with them. They are the only alum. arrows that I haven't had a problem with as far as bending goes. They work great off my recurve bows as well as my 70# compound. They have been bringing down game for a long time and winning Olympic Archery meets. Up until carbons came out a few years ago, the majority of the animals in the Pope & Young record book were taken with Aluminum arrows. Carbons don't kill any deader than aluminum. Arrows have been flexing when shot since the dawn of man. I don't see any problem with it. Byron Ferguson shoots quarters out of the air with wooden and aluminum arrows. How much better can an arrow get?

14. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like the razorcaps from n.a.p. and i,m thinking about the new hell razor from them as well. i also have been hearing some good things about those rage expandables