Arrowhead and utahville

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by snooker_hooker, Feb 7, 2007.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    where are theses places. this is where all the bait shops get there herring from. i cant find any for this weekend. does anybody know where to get herring?

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    neds between the lakes

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Arrowhead is down in St Stephens.Eutawville is a few miles up hwy 6 from Cross where Bells Marina is on the upper lake.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, I don't know about Eutawville, but there is bait caught at Arrowhead, only it's usually from Mar 1 - Apr 30, except at Wilson's Landing which starts Feb 15 usually, when the shad and herring come upstream. this is an old link: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/feb0904.html#herring.
    I doubt there's enough up there just yet to make it worthwhile. In my opinion, you'd be better off to visit Ned's (see pic).

Attached Files:

5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    thanks guys!! that is just killing me to think that i have to go an extra 1 or more just for bait. thats a haul from summerville. i just might leave an 1hr or so earlyer and just catch my own. i cant stand driving that far for bait. thanks again.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, there should be some bait at the dam, now. Also some of those yellow perch (or white) would work well. Mr Phatkat was going to try for some the other day, but I never did hear a report back from him.

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    the dam is full of herring thats whear neds been getting them for the last month just go at night take light with you i saw him catch about 20dz in one throw he uses a 10ft net and has a big hallugen light.

8. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    thats what i will do. i am going this sat morning.

9. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    the dam by short stay?

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yep! :big_smile:

11. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    ill be out there with the cast net. the lights by the dam should hold them also i am going to get some sabiki rigs and a halogin light.

what size sabiki should i get?

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, I usually go with a size 8 or 10 hook. The #6 is a little too large for the smaller herring. The #10 is pretty small and can be aggravating to get out if you have old eyes, get into my fingers a lot, so my favorite all round is the #8. Got that???:big_smile:

13. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i have a 10 ft net and ill pick up size 8 sabiki rigs. thank you oce again.

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Excuse me fellows but I have a quick question. We are coming at the end of of March to fish the river. We usually buy herring for bait at Arrowhead Motel but, as you guys know, that can get a little high. We are willing to catch our own but honestly, we don't know how they catch them. We've got a couple cast nets and lights but I've never seen it done. How are y'all catching your herring for bait? I don't wnat to sell it, just fish with it and not spend $30 a night. Also are there any special permits involved. The utmost thanks for any help.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Colt, there is actually a season right now and you can go out at night and catch up to one bushel for recreational fishing. The hours are from dark until midnight, I think. There is usually a creel survey clerk at the arrowhead landing at night and he can better explain the rules. I think they are in the DNR brochure, also. You are allowed to enter the area above the railroad trestle during the hours I mentioned. Most people use cast nets. There are two buoys, one on each bank before you get to the dam, Do Not Pass these buoys if you enjoy your freedom (they are hard to see at night). Any game fish must be released, but up to 20 white and hickory shad may be kept, also any other non-game fish. If you go to the DNR website, you should be able to find the complete rules. As of yesterday and today, the water is very high and swift there. Good luck!