Arrow Straightness

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive been shooting Carbon Fury with Blazer Vanes, these have a straightness of .005 Ive got them to shoot pretty good now, I paid about $50 for a dozen. I've been looking at Carbon Express Maxima 3-D Select Signture Series which have a straightness of .001 , I cant find another brand straighter than that, $80 for half a dozen. What I'm thinking is 1 for practice and 1 for the broadhead action. How do you all do it? I'm open to other brands like Easton and others.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hmmm,,, I don't know much about that kind of arrow... When I used to shoot a lot, I used aluminum, and I could straighten those myself.. at home, or in the field.

I could spin them on my fingernails , and tell if they were "off".. I don't know the numerical "runout". but, If I could feel them "bump" on my finger nails, they got straightened. I looked down the shaft, and felt the bump, then tweaked them till they would run smooth, if they ran smooth, they would shoot true..

However, I don't think the stuff I was shooting was as fast as the stuff you're shooting, but, Try some, and see if the money is worth it, or if you can tell any difference in your groupings.. especially at longer ranges..

I saw your pic of your group....:wink:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That would probably do 1 for practice and so on . Thats alot of trips to the target ...lol.

Myself I would buy a dozen and shoot my normal 9 practice arrows and keep three in the quiver for bambi .

I shoot Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrows Straightness .002" I have a few dozen of them . I love these arrows .

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Between .005 and .001 is there really any noticeable difference to the average shooter/hunter. From my experience...no. JMO

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I agree with Mike. He just beat me to the punch posting that. You seem to really get to the point after about .005 that the price curve vs performance curve is really out of balance. I truely believe that form will make more of an impact than arrow straightness after .005. I shoot Carbon Express Maxima arrows but not the 3-D Select Signature Series. I dont really know much about that particular model of arrow, but a word of caution/advise. Talk to an archery pro-shop guy and make sure that you can shoot broadheads with those arrows. Ive talked to guys who shoot alot of 3-D and tried to shoot their 3-D arrows with broadheads and if flat out didnt work. Now part of that had to do with the fletching, but I wouldnt want you to drop that much money and find out that they arent going to work for hunting.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, arrow straightness is of importance when selecting arrows. Ususally the more expensive arrows have better straightness qualities and better spine " stiffness". When selecting arrows, always check a chart for recomendations for the draw weight and cam style of your bow. This is of importance. 3-d shooters like lighter arrows for the fact they can use less pins on the sight and have more forgiving shots. Like using the 20 yd pin for 30 yd shots and the such. When selecting arrows for hunting, especially big game like deer, go with a heavier arrow. I would recommend a arrow that has a least 400 grains total weight. That's the weight of the arrow, broadhead, nock, fletching and so forth. This will give you more kinetic energy for quicker kills versus a lighter arrow. Would you rather get hit by a ping pong ball or baseball? Get the picture? Anyhow. arrow selection plays a big part on how your arrows fly. Always test them by shooting groups and keep those that group well and the others just use for practice. Good balanced and true arrows are a must for hunting all sorts of game.

Hope this helps OZZY!!:wink:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Something else I wanted to add is, when selcting arrows with broadheads is, always spin test the arrows. Make sure there is no wobble. This will give you a good indication of a well matched arrow. Straightness of .004 to .001 is good quality arrows. I would steer arrow from arrows with less straightness, especially carbons. Because most of them have weaker spine and flex more after the shot. my point is to spend a little more money and get the better quality arrows. I prefer Full Metal Jackets with the alum shaft and carbon insert. these arrows are straight and are great for 3-d and hunting. They pull out of targets nice and hit very hard on hunting animals.:wink:

8. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I shoot carbon fury's and they are .005" and in my experience I dont really see how I could shoot much straighter lol. I usually buy my arrows by the dozen, then I shoot 6 for practice and keep the other 6 to the side for hunting. As far as any arrows not shooting straight. I usually get a sharpie and number my arrows on the fletchings right out of the box, so when I am shooting and one of my arrows keeps pulling from the rest I can check to see if its the same arrow, and I can cull it from the rest. I hope this helps you.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for the info. I never thought about culling the good ones. I think I'm gonna get some alum/carbon arrows.

10. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    It helps me, cuz I noticed especially when I shoot the same arrows over and over that certain ones will start straying when they get little cracks or the fletchings start to wear

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you are wondering if the maxima shafts are good or worth the price I think they are (well I also cringe at the price so maybe not worth the price, but they do have a noticeable higher quality). I don't shoot he 3D's, but I shoot the maxima hunter arrows and they are great arrows. I noticed my groups tightened right away... I was also shooting a new bow with better technology, but I was very impressed. When I shot them after tuning and to sight in the bow, my first 3 shots were touching each other at 20 yards. Those arrows are really tough too, they will last forever. Unless you always shoot at the same dot and robin hood arrows of course... I like to shoot each one at a separate dot. Also, the blazer vanes do well too. I didn't have a good opinion about them at first in outdoor windy situations, but they have grown on me. I just refletched a dozen of them with the 2" quick spins and I'm excited to take them out to the range and see the improvements.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well I picked up a six pack of Full Metal Jackets. I went shopping and gave different arrows the flex test and all the carbons were no where near as stiff as the FMJ's. Ive been shooting blazer vane's but got these in 4 inch vanes. Thats all they had and Ive wanted to try them anyways. Ive noticed from all the DVD's I have most hunters use 4 inch anyways. Im gonna use one for a test on the bow, make sure everything is lined up right and use the rest for broadheads. I'll report back with picks when I can. :cool2:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Give us a report back on the quick spins, Im interested to see how they do.

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will give a report if I ever get out to the range. I would just shoot 'em in the back yard, but I also re arranged my pins and spread them out (used to have 20,25,30,35,40 set up and I wanted to get 20,30,40,50) and tightened my limbs back up to 70. So I thought it was a better idea to go shoot a range that has a whole wall of targets before I try to shoot at my 2' square target.

15. Lightnin_lane

Lightnin_lane New Member

State:
    tennessee/
    hey brother, the best way i can tell you is go to your local archery shop and take your arrows with you or buy some from there. They should have an arrow spinner and a scale. Then you can mark your arrows in groups of weight and discard the ones that arent strait enough for your liking. I think that is your best bet. good luck and i hope it helped

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have been shooting the beman hawk carbon arrows, no idea what straightness they are. 50 dollars a dozen and should last me a couple years. my setup isn't as great as most of yall's, and neither is my skill level! :roll_eyes: i am getting a new bow this year that is pretty fast and was wondering if an arrow that wasn't as straight, well would it be more evident on a faster bow? just crap i think about at 4 in the morning when i can't sleep...

17. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I imagine they would be off more from the other arrows, because the extra speed from a higher poundage bow would throw off the trajectory of a bad arrow more. What kind of Bow are you thinking about getting?