Arrow question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Apr 11, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am pretty new to bowhunting, just started seriously last year. i got my first bow deer last october, and have been practicing like a fiend from then on. i just put a new rest on my bow, and a truglo sight. also just learned how to increase the draw weight, and have it up to 60 pounds now.
    i shoot carbon express carbon wolverine arrows, because they are light and seem to be pretty strong. i have a few that the inserts came out of the front, and also the nocks came out of a few. today i tore the fletchings on one arrow, and my supply is dwindling! are these damaged arrows gone? or can i fix them? if so how?
    i appreciate yall's input on this... i know we have a lot of good bowhunters on the boc!
    thanks!
    on the damaged ends, the carbon is not split, if that helps any!

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    good news, if the shafts are not broken, nocks, inserts, and fletching are easy replaqcements. any archery shop has the jigs to do nocks and fletching. inserts are just superglued in. good hunting!

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas

I agree if they are not broken then you can fix them.Just clean your inserts good with some kind of solvant i use rubbing alcohal and reglue back together. The same goes with the nocks just make sure you get the nock set for your fletching. I would have your local pro shop do the fletching unless you have a fletching tool. Hope this helps shawn

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As long as they are not split, you should be good to go. The beauty of carbon arrows is they do not bend like aluminum arrows. If they don't completely break then you can still re-use them. I have had a few to crack at the nock point, but I've still shot them with no problem. However, I have had a few that would shoot, but the nock will fall out at the shot. Just make sure to get all the adhesive off of where the old fletchings were before re-fletching. Good Luck!

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    like the other guys said, if the carbon is not craked or split then it will be fine. I would take to the archery shop to get them to fix ur arrows this time. watch them, they usually will show u how to do these minor repairs that u need and then next time u can fix them urself, or maybe even make ur own arrows from some blanks.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Some companies dont always use the best glues for inserts and nocks, they are always looking for ways to cut cost. You can replace your inserts with a better glue such as the "Gorilla Glue" and never worry about it coming out again. Make sure your arrow rest on the bow is mounted right to avoid tearing up feathers and fletching.

7. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    how do you get old inserts out i was shoting my bow and pulled my arrow out of are target to find out my insert is sticking out a little but i tried pulling it out all the way but it wouldnt come (will rubbing alchol get it to come out)

and my noks come out of my carbon arrows quite often i just glue them back in with gorlilla glue and they are good to go i think ive fixed all 6 of my practice arroows noks so they shouldnt come out your right they do use cheapest glue they can get a hold of

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It just takes a little heat to get the nocks out. A small alcohol burner or propane torch will do it. CAUTION; don't use too much heat!!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i appreciate yall's help on this! i am looking at getting a new rest also to see if that helps the fletchings stay better longer.
    while we're on the subject, is there any benefit to using feather fletchings over the plastic vanes?
    thanks guys.

10. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I my self like feathers for many reason. I like that they wont deflect as much when you hit limb or somthing like vanes will. Vanes are more durable in bad weather. there is pros and cons to both i could go on and on it is just personal preference. Hope this helps. I am sure there are more knowledgable people on here to help you. I also like the way they will help in tuning a broadhead but there are the blazer vanes that Alot of people shoot too. Then you also have the quick spins and they are supposed to be good also. So I guess what i am trying to say is that what ever you decide to shoot is what works best for you.

11. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    A good way to remove and replace your inserts is to take a rabbit blunt tip, weld a make shift T handle to the blunt end, screw it into the insert, heat the blunt tip and pull out the insert. It doesnt take much heat and it will keep you from overheating or burning the tip of your arrow. With the insert still screwed to the blunt tip, heat it up a little, sparing apply your glue, (I like Bohning Ferr-L Tite and you can get a stick at any archery dealer) push it back in as far as you can, unscrew the the blunt tip tool, push against something solid so you are sure the insert is seated all the way in and wipe off any excess. A little practice and u will be a pro.
    Danny J

12. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Oh ya, make sure you use the right glue. If it isnt heat reversible have fun next time you try to remove the insert.
    Good luck Brother
    Danny J