arrow length

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Wil, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i need to get my arrows trimmed. its about 25.5 inches to the end of the whisker biscuit. my bow poundage is about 55#s. im thinkin they need to be around 28 inches.. what do yall think

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    That sounds bout right to me . Extra arrow length is just a decrease in arrow speed, but front of center is also important to proper flight. there is a formula i can find that tells how far past center should the arrow balance out at. This all depends on weight of head your gonna shoot. I can look this up if ya need.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you can go to goldtip.com and they have calculators on there and all you gotta do is type it all in it gives front of center kinetic energy and i think another measurement and tells you which one you need depending on youre set up

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    What's your draw length Wil? If it's 29", your arrows can be cut down to 29.5" or more. That's measured from the insert at the front end of the arrow to the end of the nock. For instance my draw length is 28". My arrows are 28.75" long from the insert to the end of the nock. This allows around an inch excess of arrow at the rest while at full draw. You definently don't want them cut to short. Go to a Archery Pro Shop or at Cabelas to have them cut.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Good luck getting them cut at Cabelas. I bought a dozen arrows Saturday and it was a 3 hour wait to get them cut down :angry:.

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    draw length is only 27 inches. ya i have short arms for my size. i went to cabelas last night and got them cut at 28 inches, now just gotta glue 'em in so i can get some serious practice in. what glue do ya'll use? i've been usin elmers glue but it hasnt worked out well so i think ill try hot glue or gorilla glue. i bet super glue would work too.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wil, i like the hot melt glue they sell in proshops. It comes in a brown stick and is very easy to use. Heat the inserta bit, and just roll it over the stik. I never had a broadhead pull out in a target and if you need to turn the insert to tune broadheads, all ya got to do is heat it a lil' bit.

8. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    everything i've been taught is your arrow length should be no more than an inch over your draw length. so for a 28 draw you should use a 28.5 or 29 arrow.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks guys ill check it out

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would like to add a little more advice to this post also. Remember not to use to much of the hot melt glue. Just a little will get the job done. When the the glue is applied to the insert, put it in the arrow right away and gently tap the insert on a table to seat it properly. If any excess glue is on the arrow, just wipe it off. Always spin test the broadheads for proper rotation.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Our local Cabelas located in Kearney, Nebraska is a small outlet store compared to the rest of the Cabela chain stores. The archery department in this store usually will have your arrows done right away. This is the majority of the time.:eek:oooh: I have mine cut by a pro shop located in the town I live in. Great friend too!!

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ["Extra arrow length is just a decrease in arrow speed..."]

That's a whole new discussion. I go for more weight since the vast majority of my deer are shot at 50' or less. It's a balancing act.

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i decided to go with gorilla glue to see how it would work. ive heard good things about it and its supposed to be one of the adhesives that will get ur hands stuck together if u hold them there long enough so it should be pretty good

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    send me a pm on the results Wil. It should work out for ya!

15. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Just be carefull of gorrilla glue cause it real expands when it hardens. That is the expierence i have had with it

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you're using a carbon arrow, they make an epoxy for them. You can find it in any bass pro shops, or cabelas. Don't use hotmelt glue on carbons. It wont adhere. If you're using aluminums the hot melt glue is the best way to go. I would'nt use gorilla glue. It expands, makes a mess, and will add too much weight to the arrow. Also, it make all your arrows weigh different. You never know exactly how much is inside the shaft.

17. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the stuff most of the shops around here use goat tuff for fletchings and inserts. Its not real bad on price it can be bought at any bow shop and even out of bass pro and cables i think, Maybe even walmart. But there is one for aluminum and one for carbon so make sure to look at the tube or packaging.

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    u never how much is in the shaft with any kind of glue. a buddy of mine used to use hotglue all the time but he said u had to get the carbon dust out of the inside of the shaft first or it wouldnt work. he never had an insert come out.