Arrow length question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by blindfly69, Aug 2, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how is it possible that my bow has a 29in draw length and im shooting 26in arrows????....are my arrows too short???

2. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What type of bow are you shooting? Compound or recurve? Are you getting a full draw?

3. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Draw length

Determining your "Draw Length" is very important for proper shooting. The length must fit your arm length. There are two methods explained here to determine your draw length.

1. Make a fist with your bow hand and touch a wall, holding it out as if your are shooting your bow. Then have someone or measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth with a tape measure. The length you come up should be close to your actual draw length.

2. The next method which figures out to be pretty accurate is to measure your wingspan. Hold your arms straight out and measure from finger tip to finger tip. Round off to the nearest inch... Got to the chart below and find your length.

WingspanDraw Length63"24"64"24 1/2"65"25"66"25 1/2"67"26"68"26 1/2"69"27"70"27 1/2"71"28"72"28 1/2"73"29"74"29 1/2"75"30"76"30 1/2"77"31"
    Add or subtract a half-inch for each measurement below and above the chart.

By Pro-Staff Member Ron Beasom
    Related Links

[​IMG]Choosing a bow
    [​IMG]Setting up your Bow
    [​IMG]Paper Tuning
    [​IMG]Bow Care and Maintenance
    [​IMG]Tying in a Peep Sight
    [​IMG]Broadhead Tuning
    [​IMG]Homemade Target

Navigation

[​IMG]Home Pabucks.com
    [​IMG]Hunting Message Boards.

Pictures & Videos

[​IMG]Bucktales
    [​IMG]Wildlife Videos
    [​IMG]Fishing, Hunting & Live
    Information On white tails.

[​IMG]General
    [​IMG]Deer Antlers
    [​IMG]Deer Habitat in Pa.
    How To's Hunting Deer.

[​IMG]Hunting the rut
    [​IMG]Hunting Methods
    [​IMG]Deer Calling
    [​IMG]Scents & Lures
    [​IMG]Deer Signs
    [​IMG]Scouting
    Deer After The Shot.

[​IMG]Venision Cooking
    Guns & Shooting.

[​IMG]Right Gun for you
    [​IMG]Flintlock Rifle
    [​IMG]Muzzleloader Cleaning
    Bows and Shooting

[​IMG]Choosing a bow
    [​IMG]Setting up your Bow
    [​IMG]Draw length
    [​IMG]Paper Tuning
    [​IMG]Bow Care and Maintenance
    [​IMG]Tying in a Peep Sight
    [​IMG]Broadhead Tuning
    [​IMG]Homemade Target
    Tree-Stands

[​IMG]Treestand Safety
    [​IMG]Homemade Tree-stand
    [​IMG]Ratings & Reviews
    Camouflage

[​IMG]Learn about Camo.
    Take a quiz.

[​IMG]Antler Quiz
    [​IMG]Random Quiz
    Pa Record Book Hunters.

[​IMG]Typical-Gun
    [​IMG]Nontypical-Gun
    [​IMG]Typical-Archery
    [​IMG]Nontypical-Archery
    Webmasters

[​IMG]Top Sites Pabucks.com
    [​IMG]Top Sites Wildpa.com
    [​IMG]Link Directory.

© 2005 John Hodgdon

:0a26:

_uacct = "UA-513096-1";urchinTracker();

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check to see if you have an overdraw on your bow. I have one on mine. My draw length is 31" and i shoot a 28 1/2" arrow.

5. dbowers

dbowers New Member

State:
    Mantua, NJ
    Can you post a pic of your rest on your bow, showing the rest and sight window?

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd go to a pro shop and look. My arrow is the same as my draw length. At full draw the tip of my shaft is dead on with my bow.

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    this is gonna sound reallly stupid .........whats an overdraw??? im shootin a compound.......with a tm hunter style rest........i think i gotta be defyin some kind of physics law or somethin.....

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    dont think i have one..........

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    can someone post a pic of it?

10. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes it's possible to have a shorter arrow than your draw length. There are a bunch of factors in arrow length, personal preference is usually the biggest one. As long as you have plenty of clearance with your riser when using broadheads and your arrows aren't falling off the rest at full draw you are fine. However, shortening your arrow past the berger button will usually effect accuracy. It's better to have the tip of your arrow extend past the berger button.

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i think they go 1" or 1 1/2" past the end of the rest...

mine is a bit over a inch past the rest...

i think im shootin either 28-30 inch draw... not for sure... havent got checked and what not lately....

Jeff

12. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Depending on how the TM hunter rest is set, you could consider it an over draw.

The draw length of a bow is measured from the back of the bow sight window to the string at full draw. The back of the bow is away from you since the bow faces you when you hold it.

An over draw is a device or rest or launcher that allows you to pull the arrow tip back past the bow with out falling down. Over draws can be as short as 1/2" to as far back as 4"s.

I had a pearson spoiler setup with a 4" over draw. I shot a 25 1/2" arrow on it with a draw length of 29".

Shooting short arrows give some improvement in speed by dropping the total weight of the shaft but increasing the spine strength due to the short length. However, there is the danger of giving a "dry fire" effect to the bow because of too light weight arrow. Short arrows also require precise bow tuning to stay consistant.

Draw length is a personal thing and different for each individual and the style of shooting you do.

Example..If you are a field archer you probably shoot in good weather and don't wear a lot of heavy clothes. Because of this, you can shoot the traditional style of you bow arm pushed straight out to your side.

However, if you are a bow hunter in the late season, you may have a lot of clothes on which could snag the string if you shot straight out to your side.

My personal preference is to hold my bow about 30 degrees to the front from straight out to the side. This clears any clothes that I may add in cold weather. It also shortens my draw length from 30 to 28"s.

Using an over draw, I can shoot 25 1/2" arrows. But, that is a little too short so I stay with 27 1/4".

Hmm..didn't mean to ramble on...

Robert

13. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I shoot with a wisker bisquite, which sets back behind the shelf. It allows for at least another inch less than the draw length if I wanted it to. I'm about to get a new bow and will be shooting a 27" draw. I plan on shooting 27" arrows vs. 26" to add a little more weight to the arrow.

Mike

14. Rickb6959

Rickb6959 New Member

State:
    Clayton NC
    It sounds like your draw is to short for the bow. That is if you don't have a overdraw on your bow. If you are at full draw the point end of your arrow should be about 1" in front of your bow grip. With a over draw it will be behind the front of your grip. It could be as far as 4"or 5" behind the front of your grip. If it is behind your grip you have some kind of an overdraw. I would suggest to go to your local library and check out the archers bible. It will explain allot about archery equipment and is full of pics

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    shibby!! i figured it out....i got an overdraw...