Arrow direction/penetration question for bow hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Oct 5, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i went deer hunting yesterday and spotted a group of whitetails at 200 yards. i stalked to where i figured they would come off the river, and they came out 15 yards in front of me. the lead doe came out facing me directly and stopped. it was an easy shot, but i wasn't sure about a straight on shot with a bow. with a rifle, i would have taken the doe's head off to prevent meat damage, but i am not going to cripple a deer for the coyotes and mountain lions. i have been kicking my own butt over this all day, so let me know- was i right in not taking the shot i wasn't sure of, or would i have skewered the deer anyway shooting into the brisket? i am shooting 55 pounds draw weight on a 15 yard shot.
    thanks yall!
    here's the spot i was hunting, the first picture is where the incident occured, right by the salt cedars and small plum thicket, in the center of the picture by the riverbed. you can also see a heavily used deer trail in the bottom of the first pic.

Attached Files:

2. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ethically you definetily did the right thing. You should never take a shot that you are not 100% confident in. Being that close you probably would have killed her if you hit her in the grapefruit size kill zone. I am not saying you would have killed her or not, but I am saying that you did the right thing. Hope this helps.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You did the right thing. Better to let her go than wound her. Thanks!!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you aren't sure, don't take the shot. In that situation, a shot at the base of the neck is best. It's still a tricky shot with a target about the size of a soft ball. If the shot is a little left or right, an arrow will usually be deflected and wind up between the shoulder and rib cage...not good!

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You did the right thing no matter if she was broadside. The key was you were uncomfortable with shot. If we had more hunters like you we would not get in so much trouble with the antis. They love finding dead deer with arrows in them. My hat is off to you!!!

6. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I would have passed on that shot as well. There is no shortage of deer so wait till you are comfortable with the right shot then take it. You did the right thing. Part of hunting is ethics and that would go against mine to take a shot I am not comfortable with.

7. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Absolutely you make the right choice. Congratulations on your skill to intercept the deer after spotting them. The season is still young and plenty more opportunities await a patient and ethical hunter as yourself. We need more true outdoorsman like yourself. Way to many "iffy" shots taken during the season, be sure of your shot and it will make for a quick clean and humane kill.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    you did good jordan,the margin of error is to high on that shot,alot of bone to shoot thru.when i first started bowhunting i had that same shot and i took it,it did not turn out well for me or the deer.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    you did the right thing, i wouldnt have taken that shot either. i dont take shots im not sure of cuz they pry wont hit right and then ur screwed

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Good choice, I like a total pass through shot. I have never shot at a head on or quartering toward me target.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Theres always tomorrow. You definitely made the right call, let er walk.