Around Bloomington

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by chris_ce, Oct 12, 2007.

1. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone have any good catfish places around Bloomington?
    We catch some good size ones at the river but I would like to catch some that I can have no worries about eating.
    I haven't had much luck at Monroe this year.

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    RIver? What river u talking about chris?

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    first off welcome to the boc if you do some reading up on some of the rivers around here the rivers are cleaner now then they ever have been if im thinking right they say u would have to eat some thing like 30 lb of catfish in month befor it would ever hurt u

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    oh yeah welcome to the boc .... i agree with bill .. i only eat about 5 lbs a month out of the ohio ... some good eatin... and im still here.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the family chris. i would think the small reserviors like lemon or grenwood types would yield some good clean meat. better to eror on the side of cation and read the consumption advisories or contact the dnr and ask them about your waters.

6. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well look at RiverScum he been eating them up and look at him.....well maybe that wasn't a good example. Hasn't killed me yet. :wink: It wouldn't hurt to check local listing for fish consumption in your are though.

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey pole cat ... u gotta website on that consumption report or no?

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I agree with Chris, most rivers around are cleaner than they ever have been. I had a local Conservation Officer tell me he eats some big flatheads from time to time and that they are really good. Anyway, I researched this a little and found this website that has a chart and explains how much you can eat of about any species in any Indiana waters. Its as follows.

www.state.in.us/isdh

Thanks, rspd507

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are a few good spots down on monroe for channels.. but i would recomend using shelled shrimp.... but remove the shell before using... Just South of Paynetown is a pretty good place...

10. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I put my canoe in at the Crooked Creek Ramp. ( from 46 )
    As you go up the middle fork of Salt Creek, ( Maybe three miles) there is a real sharp bend in the creek to the left. There is a nice camp site on the right at the bend. ( the campsite is on Hoosier National Forest property.) The summer of 2006 I was layed off and drawing unemployment for the first time in my life and camped there usually from thursday to saturday or sunday just about every week.
    I caught many channel cats there in the 5 - 12 pound range. Usually on night crawlers. Ocasionally on shrimp as stated in another post. Seemed to never do much on chicken liver. I fished using a slip bobber about 2 foot off the bottom.
    I have also caught them in the north fork of Salt Creek putting at Pine Ridge? ramp. But have spent much more time on the middle fork.
    I have seen some nice flatheads from monroe, but I wasn't the one catching them.
    I have a friend who likes camping at Allen's Creek and fishing that part of the lake. He has caught many very nice channels there.
    Good luck wherever you go.