Army mess knife?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i think this may be an army mess knife, but i am not sure. hoping some of you guys can help me with it.

the overall length is 7.25 inches, with the blade using 3.75 of that.
    on one side of the handle, lengthwise, it has U.S.
    on the other, horizontally at the blade end, it has LF&C 1917

LF&C manufactured knives for the military, but i have been unable to find one like this......it appears to be an aluminum handle with a steel blade.

is 1917 the date of the knife? the company? did they use aluminum for this purpose in 1917?

it was in a mess tin that i bought at auction, but it doesn't match the other utensils that were there. i bought a lot of 3 or 4, and this knife is not matched in any of them.

thanks.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    :embarassed: forgot the pics......

Attached Files:

3. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    yes that is one of the old army mess kit knifes...... man for some of the older retired military guys that will bring back some memories.....LOL

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, believe it was WW1 timeframe. In WW2, the knife had a slot or hole at the end of the handle so the entire mess kit could be dipped in boiling water (emersion heaters) for sanitation.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks similar to the mess kit knife I used in the USAF while working line camps in Newfoundland.

Attached Files:

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep mom used to have one is was great for peeling taters

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Phil,the name of the company was LANDERS,FRARY,& CLARK and evidently they made about 7 million of those for WWl along with bayonets,sabers,parachute knives etc etc.You can probably google the company and get their complete history.So to answer your question YES that is a US mess knife from WW l.:smile2: PS, NO I DIDN"T use one in my military career!!!!!!!

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    My grandpa used to have one just like it. I'm going to ask him if he still has it. I believe it belonged to his dad or one of his uncles.