armstrong bracket

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  2. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    you can go on line and find them.the chaepest one i have seen was 750.00.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Unless you have a boat 23 feet or more in length and not a jon boat you'll be making a mistake and wasting your money.
    Think of a fulcrum and how it works. That bracket will throw the balance of the boat off. Way off on your every day type boat.

They use these things on the offshore center consoles primarily. Boats that have enough ass to stand up against the fulcrum.
    It's a big boat toy.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Think of it like this.
    If you try to lever a 300 pound rock with a 2 foot crow bar you wont get far.
    If you try to move the rock with a 12 foot pry bar it's easily done with less effort.

Say your motor weighs 350 pounds and you extend it 2 feet off the back of your boat that 350 actual pounds is going to become something quite larger in terms of physics. Same effect if you put a 10 foot setback on the boat only much more magnified.

I know a a boat designer that sells Armstrong brackets. Basicly he'll tell you the same thing. 23 feet and above and 23 feet he isn't crazy about.

Not saying it wont work but I wouldn't spend that kind of money without some investigating.
    It will change the center of gravity of the boat. It's a matter of how sensitive your hull is to what could amount to a drastic change in the hull CG.

Alot of the boats running these things have them designed in from where the fuel tanks are located in the floor to console placement. Most planing hulls have a CG somewhere around 40/60 give or take.

The reason those boats become unstable is because the CG is out of wack most likely due to the setback.