Armored Catfish in GA?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by armyfisher, Sep 28, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    I've seen these catfish when i went down to my cousins ranch down in st. cloud flordia, never even heard or seen um till i got down there. i have a friend that lives about an hour away from the flordia border on the GA side and he was saying that these catfish have started to make their way up into GA waters anyone know anything about this? They are tough little b@$tards literally. i looked on the DNR website for GA and found nothing. well let us know something :smile2:

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    COMMON NAME – Brown hoplo (armor-plated catfish), hassa.
    DESCRIPTION - Brown hoplo is less than a foot long and belongs to family of fishes known as Callichthyidae; has bony armor consisting of two rows of large hard scales forming plate-like armor along each side; dark brown to black in color with two pairs of long barbells on chin.
    RANGE – First documented in the Indian River Lagoon system in 1995; now found throughout central and south Florida from the St. John’s River to Lake Trafford. Native to eastern South America.
    HABITAT – Occur in a variety of freshwater habitats including muddy bottom and slow moving rivers, streams, side channels, ponds, marshes, and man-made waterways such as ditches and borrow pits; larvae and juveniles inhabit shallow water areas with lots of vegetation; adults prefer foraging in deeper, open water areas; gulps air, and tolerant of both low oxygen and high hydrogen-sulfide levels.
    SPAWNING HABITS - Males build floating nests in vegetation near shore that consist of bubbles covered with plant material. Eggs are released by the female below the nest. The male fertilizes them and then takes them into his mouth and blows them up into the floating nest. Breeding males develop enlarged, red pectoral spines with hooks at the tips that are used to defend territories against other males. The eggs hatch in about four days.
    FEEDING HABITS - Primarily feeds on benthic invertebrates and detritus.
    AGE AND GROWTH - Grows to about 2 inches in 2 months; however, rarely exceeds 10 inches.
    SPORTING QUALITY – Little to none, but can be caught using live worms; normally fished for with cast nets.
    EDIBILITY – Highly sought after as food by Floridians with cultural ties to Trinidad and parts of South America; raised as a food fish in native range; no bag or size limits.
    STATE RECORD – N/A

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    They sound kinda weird wonder what is makeing them move up

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    oh wow that is very interesting. that is a very weird looking fish

5. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I can't find any info on them moving into Georgia.

6. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    i'm gonna talk with a buddy of mine whos a game warden and see if he can give us some inight into whats going on with these catfish, thanks for the info but if anyone else knows about these fish invading GA waters please let us know thanks brothers:smile2:

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I don't see why they could'nt move up into Georgia.

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    What I've heard is that they we transplanted illegaly to US waterways and are a treat to our lakes. From what I was told they damage the dams at lakes by burrowing into them.

9. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    this fish is almost like the snakehead both were illegally put in u.s. waters and they both florished. i will say this at least the catfish inst as aggressive as the snakehead. My other friend whos a game warden told me that he had heard some facts that there were some armored cats in the very south south east part of GA, so if anyone from that area catches on of these fish turn um in the DNR or local fishery immediatly. and anyone that read this thread please let your friends know about the situation. thanks brothers:smile2: