armadillo trouble!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, just when you think you're ahead of all the bugs, slugs, wet weather, root rot, drought.....along comes the lowly armadillo!!! :confused2:The past 3 nights I've had one in my front flower bed. The first night wasn't too bad; just a little bit of rooting around. I sprinkled chili powder out, & no problem that night. Then I watered it, & last night he came back with a vengeance! Rooted around my lily bulbs, under some of my ground cover.....he even knocked over my turtle shell I had planted with some greenery! I spent this evening putting everything back in order & replanted. Then I sprinkled chili powder, crushed red pepper & threw out some moth balls just for "good measure"! We'll see what happens now.:wink:
    Anyone have any other ideas??? Thanks....

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bar-B-Q!!!! Ain't nothin like Possum on a half shell!!!!

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Don't think I haven't thought about it!!!!:roll_eyes:

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    is one of the few animals that can transmit leprosy to humans. Know what you are doing if you are going to cook it. To keep them out, lay 2x4 fencing material around where you want them to stay gone. They can not tolerate the feel of the wire on their feet. I have done this and it worked for me.:wink:

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I was just fix'n to post this under a new thread, so I'll do it here:

Armardillo bait

I've tried to catch armadillo with live traps for years, with no luck. I keep 3 live traps around to set out around my deer feeders to cut down on the coon population with. I usually put peanut butter, vanilla wafers or whatever in the traps for the coons, well the other day the wife threw out a sack of stale Hostess cake donuts, the little ones with powdered sugar all over them. I put a couple in the trap and the next morning I an armadillo in it, first one I ever caught in a trap, I wrote it off to dumb luck till the next morning when I had armadillo number 2 in the trap, kind'a interesting, but stuff happens, then the next morning I had another one in the same trap. Seems armadillo's really like little sugar coated donuts.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    .......... and the shell makes a good rain cap too.:eek:oooh::smile2:

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Introduce him to your friends Smith & Wesson.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    amonia soaked rags work for squirell and deer

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    An electric fence or for the more enterprising, claymore mines.:smile2:

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    "is one of the few animals that can transmit leprosy to humans. Know what you are doing if you are going to cook it. "

And don't kiss them either....

Richard

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Seriously I didn't know that leprosy thing. Have there been any recent cases you can remember?

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I absolutely hate the ground rootin, turkey nest destroying suckers.:confused2: I'll shoot one any time i get the cross hairs on it.

Funny story, i bought a new tent and went camping the nite before squirrle season a few years ago. When i was setting up camp an older gent stopped and said he had killed a couple young "wild hogs" there just a few days prior. I'm layin in bed that nite and hear this rootin sound right outside. Get my lite and 22 expecting fresh ham. Seeing nothing i turn around and there he is right beside the tent, a stinkin diller!!! I popped his noggin and just my luck it flopped all down the side of my brand new tent. What a bloodie mess:crazy:

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    wait just a minute did someone say armadillas destroy turkey nests sorry about your flowers but you need to shoot em we cant have a varmint messin with turkeys yeehaa

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Armadillos dig up our yard. best cure I've found is a 12 gauge shotgun. I've chased down a few with the ATV and ran over them. I hate em, those and gophers! :wink:
    Scientists do not know whether armadillos can transmit the disease to humans. But even if they can do so, they are not essential in spreading the disease because they do not live in Africa, Asia, or India, where the disease is most prevalent.
    "Leprosy," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2008

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    only way you could possibly get leprosy from a dillo is when you clean it.after you cook it there is no more leprosy.i eaten dillos all my life and yes they do taste like pork.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sooooo what your saying is THAT Armadillo's are THE other ..other ..white meat lol

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ROXIE,Get your GUN :wink::smile2:

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Thanks. I have heard all my life that you could get it. I have recently read that most Americans are immune to it. Either way I think I will leave them alone.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    And ya all call yourselfs rednecks. Just hook about 10 of them sideways and go tilling. Roll them up for the winter after your done. LOL :big_smile: