Arm your boats, the asian carp are on their way

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by JBrooks, Jan 3, 2010.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i for see new cut bait for the flathead's gonna get my bow out for some fun now

2. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Better grab your local shad's while u can.:wink:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hopefully it will be awhile before they get this far upstream but I am already thinking about how I am going to "armor" the glass on my cabin cruiser type cuddy. :sad2:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    never know, if the Flatheads and Blues take a liking to them the cats may start topping 200 lb! :big_smile: i hear they are good éatin but have those pesky Y-Bones.

best thing folks could do now in the "infected" areas would be to chop them up and dump ém back in the river system, would no doubt cause the catfish to start craving them. :smile2:

5. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    They have been here for some time. First the Missouri River now the Kaw River. They have passed the low head dam at 4-35 & Holday Dr. & are found up to the Bowersock Dam in Lawrence, Kansas.

Ive not had much luck using them for bait. Though others say different.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    best thing folks could do now in the "infected" areas would be to chop them up and dump ém back in the river system, would no doubt cause the catfish to start craving them. :smile2:[/QUOTE] I kill evey one I can on the Mo river even if I dont need bait they get a knife in the swim bladder and guts then stomped on the head and dumped back over to feed the cats.

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Whoever wrote this article has not been on the river much, they are already in West Virginia waters around Gallipolis, Ohio just run your boat into about 5 foot of water even with my super silent 4 stroke they just go erupting out of the water, I was hoping that cold water would turn them over like the Shad do, get them stressed and die but they have even adapted to the cold.

Indiana told us to stick them with a knife if they came on board the boat, but they thrash around so bad and then bleed a lot it's tough to get a knife in them, in 2010 I'm going to start using them for bait because the Skipjacks are getting so hard to find just to see if the cats will eat them..........Doc

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Whoever wrote this article has not been on the river much, they are already in West Virginia waters around Gallipolis, Ohio just run your boat into about 5 foot of water even with my super silent 4 stroke they just go erupting out of the water,"

DO WHAT?? :crazy:

Tell me you are just shining us on.
    That is the first I have heard of that.

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Wish I was but no it is very true I fish that area a lot with Ohio Hills and they are in there, I found a bunch of them up around Brown's Island I think that's the name of it the island above the Kyger power Plant................Doc

10. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've used them for bait a few times. The biggest fish I have caught was a 12 LB blue. Other people say they work great. Start building armor around your fish finders, Lights, anything you don't want to break. They hurt when the hit you. We had some that were around 7lbs that jumped into the boat and we stabbed them and threw them back in the water. In Illinois it is illegal to let them go back in the water alive. By the way they get to be 100lbs. Check out the link.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/a_record_setting_log/

11. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    NOPE! I agree. This fish is old news.

12. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Doc speaks the truth I found one floating below the mehldahl Dam a year or two ago ,also had them jump out of the water at a tournament below the Markland one morning when it was foggy while we were hugging the bank running.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to get a baseball bat and do some batting practice when they come up this way. I hate the thought of them but I could see myself buying a bow and going at them.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Say goodby to the shad population, they are plankton feeders and they will destroy it..As will they put a hurt on the fish population that feed on shad.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    All fish feed on plankton for the first year after they hatch. It's not just shad that will be affected, but also catfish, bass, crappie, walleye,ect. Here is a link to what has happened to some oxbow lakes in far western KY.
    http://fw.ky.gov/021204.asp

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many plants and animals invading our habitat and causing trouble does it take before people realize that bringing in a foreign species to control a problem causes a lot more problems? It is not like this hasn't been a problem in the past. That is why everyplace in the northwest that doesn't have a goat roaming around is covered in blackberry bushes. Why the south is covered in vines that are strangling out trees. Now we have snakeheads, mussels, big head carp and who knows what else killing our rivers.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The flathead catfish here in SE PA are invasive and non-native!

Is that a good thing?

To a bass man, no, but to a one who likes giant river catfish, yes!

Go to Florida and see how many species down there are from Africa, Asia, South America, and Australia? Do you hear any of them complaining? No, they play with the cards they are dealt and make the best situation possible.

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thats exactly what i was thinking

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    You made a great point, people fail to realize the effect the fish will have. You have a large fish thats a prolific spawner and has been known to get over 90 pounds. On top of that it spends its entire life eating plankton, if it isnt taken care of it will basically starve out all of the other fish species in that body of water. This is why all of the Lake erie fisherman are starting to sweat alittle, if the asian carp gets in the great lakes, in the near future they will basically become giant carp ponds