Arlington Cemetery at Christmas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Got this email yesterday. Really liked it and nice to hear about Positive things being done in the world instead of Negative.

"Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.

Know the line has held, your job is done.

Rest easy, sleep well.

Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.

Peace, peace, and farewell... "

Readers may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.
    Please share this with everyone on your address list. You hear too much about the bad things people do. Everyone should hear about this.

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Every once in a while one comes shining through to bad that there is not more people like this in the world!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    thanks for the inspirational post

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats good to see thanks for sharing Tea.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    that is a really great guy.

i have been there once and would like to go back another time to pay tribute

thanks for sharing

Jeff

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    good post Matt like John said its nice to see that there are some people who remember what sacrifices have been made by the soldiers and families of soldiers good'n Matt

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can say is---------God Bless Our Men and Women in Uniform,and God Bless Their Familys ,and Most of all "God Bless THe USA"------:smile2:

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Those are some great pictures. I live not too far from Arlington, and every once in a while I will visit the cemetery. I tell you the time to go is not on Memorial day or Veterans day, but just your average day early in the morning. I went one Saturday morning a couple of years ago, and there were very few folks around, and I visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was just me and the Honor Guard Soldier, yet, he was carrying out his duty as if he had a huge crowd watching. Now, that is a moment which everyone should experience.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those are the most beautiful pictures. I've never been to Arlington; hope to make it there someday. I can't imagine what it must be like to actually be standing there looking at that sight. God bless all those that lie beneath those wreaths, as well as their families. God bless all those that continue to serve today. We are indeed a very fortunate country, & are represented by the very finest. Thanks Matt for passing that on, so that we can pause & reflect on what is really important in this day-to-day hectic life that we get so caught up in.

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the post. We just buried a family member, and the crew that was with him. Their helicopter was shot down in 1971, the shootdown site with remains of the soldiers, and their aircraft were finally found in Oct - Nov. 2004. The remains were shipped to Hickam AFB, Hawaii to the identification lab. The family was "officially" notified Oct. 15th 2005 of positive ID of our lost loved one. They were buried in Alington April 12th this year. Arlington is a very special place for very special men, and women, who have made the ultimate sacrifice. They are all resting in peace, in a place of great honor, with their equals. If you want to see the "true" war heroes, this is the place. Lets never forget their sacrifice!! Jack.