Arlington Award / My story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Aug 5, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My wifes parents used to have a farm in Virginia nestled just east of the Blue Ridge Parkway in a small town called Lyndhurst. They had a number of horses and they also raised many cows and several bulls. I spent quite a bit of time down there and loved it. One day we all decided to take the horses for a ride in the mountains, I had never ridin any of their horses but have been around my fathers horses all my life as he bred Arabians. I was lucky enough to get to ride Dalilia, a very large quarter horse. She was a very gentle horse until she didn't want to be ridin any more, then look out! Well we headed off to the mountains to ride the many trails there. Everything was going good until Dalilia decided she was not happy anymore! LOL. She first started heading towards every low branch on the trail, nearly knocking me off several times. She also would at times completely refuse any control through the ranes. After a while of dodging branches I fiqured I would just take her back home. She became as gentle as a lamb when I wasn't on her so I decided I would walk her back. Well after about an hour of walking Dalilia we reached the dirt road that led to the farm, it was only another quarter mile so I got back on her. The dirt road was lined with telephone poles and a drainage ditch on the right side of the road. I was taking it slow while riding the horse when she decided she would start eating some fresh grass. I then pulled hard on her ranes, but even then she still attempted to eat. And try to eat she did as she walked right in to an electric fence that lined the left side of the road! The horse went absolutly balistic with me on her, bucking and running, even turning a few times as she started in to a full gallop right in to the drainage ditch! She was going in the ditch!!:crazy:. Just at this moment here comes a telephone pole!:crazy: I thought I had one chance as she flew by that telephone pole so I reached both my arms out and hugged that telephone pole with all my mite! Ripped me off the horse and wipped me to the ground where I was being dragged and kicked seveal times cause my right foot was caught in the sterup! After several of the longest seconds in my life my foot fell free, The crazy a$$ horse ran back across the road right on through the electric fence and out into a pasture where she promptly stopped, lowered her head to the ground and started eating grass like nothing happened! She was just fine! LOL. I, on the other hand was picking telephone pole size splinters out of my arms for like three days and walking with a limp from a sprained ankle! After this happened I learned that I was just another in her long list of victoms! LOL.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I do believe that horse would of been dog food and glue,and as much as I love horses.Sounds like the hardhead that I used to have as a kid.Good horse but stubburn as a Mo.mule. And I didn't even live in Mo at that time.:roll_eyes:

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Tom, Was this before or after you married their daughter?

ST

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    SeedTick, you make a really great point! We were not married yet! Hummmm:crazy:

5. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    I'm sorry, but i've gotta chuckle at that.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Well they gave it a good shot.:big_smile_2:

ST

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hopefully there will be no more attempts made. lol