arkansas squirrel hunt results

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Oct 27, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i am back! what an awesome trip. it's been 12 years since i have been squirrel hunting, so i jumped at the chance when my buddy from ashdown invited me. we got down to white cliffs on the little river and hunted along the islands and sluices. the acorn crop is awesome this year, and i managed to get into a few. we wanted to try coon too, and i managed a few of those. i was using my old 870 with #6 shot, rem 1 oz. light loads. we would hunt in the mornings till they stopped moving and the plan was to fish during the day till the tree rats started moving again. buddy that invited me spent most of the time holed up in the camper sick as all get out. i think he only went out 3 times. my other buddy had a seizure the third night and had to go go home. pretty weird! anyway i managed to bag a few, limit is only 8 a day per person. i didn't take many pics but did snap a few with the cell phone. we went fishing one time, shad were plentiful although nothing but gar was hitting them. got hold of a big buffalo and cut it up. didn't get to use it, so i fed it to the coons at camp. did manage a bunch of good sized bream for dinner one night, they were delicious. last morning of hunting i was trying a new spot a couple miles up the river and saw two young coons sneking through the dead leaves. i cut loose on them with the shotgun and skinned and cleaned them. they tasted awful. i don't believe i'll be trying that again. i couldn't get more than a few bites down, the flavor just wasn't for me! anyhow here's some pics. i want to go down there next year right when the season opens. snakes, ticks, and skeeters don't bother me at all. there are a load of copperheads down there! saw a bunch of deer and hogs. the hogs woouldn't let me get close, but fun to see them anyway. enjoy...

Attached Files:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    some more...

Attached Files:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    and some of the spots i was hunting. man if my family wasn't in amarillo, this is for sure where i would be!

Attached Files:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this is it for pics, thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

5. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Looks like ya had a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get a lil water in that slough in a few weeks, you can shoot mallards too:wink: I use to hunt millwood alot. Nice country, thanks for pix.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jordan thanks for sharing your successful squirrel hunting trip. Enjoyed the pics.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looks like you had fun,and got a few . Thanks for sharing ,Jordan.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i tell you what, i ate as many as i could and still brought back 3 gallons of cut up squirrels. my buddy's mom cooked for us and man can she cook! fried squirrel, fried potatoes, biscuits, gravy, corn on the cob, and ice cold sweet tea! man if i ate like that as much as i would like i'd weigh 600 pounds! those gre squirrels are way different from hunting the fox squirrels i normally hunted, but they're a blast to hunt too! oak woods are way easier to hunt than pecans. you can see through the canopy much better. thanks for the comments...

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have eaten bar-b-qued coon and it was very good. But when you think about
    it you could take a beagle and cook him slow with with good hickory smoke
    and a good sauce and he would be very good to. LOL