Arkansas River?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Blakemo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I live in Bixby Oklahoma and theres a bridge that crosses the river and there are many spots to get on the river at and was wondering if that a good spot to fish Gar and Catfish? and how I would fish for them?

2. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Try using cut shad if you can get it, or my 2nd choice would be Danny King punch bait which you should be able to get at your local bait shop or even some wal-mart's carry it (thats where I got mine).

I know the area you speak of, I have not fished there but I bet you can catch fish there. Especially channels on the punch bait.

Give it a try and report back to us and let us know, you may have found a great spot that is overlooked.

Good Fishing!

3. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If you can find CJs punch bait in the shad flavor it works alot better than Danny Kings for channels

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Blake!

5. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks and this forum is awsome!

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I haven't fished there in a few years,but I had the best luck catching channels on the east side of the bridge.I'd find the eddie in the sand bar just out of the current,and fish it with chicken livers,We caught quite a few little channels,with maybe a handful of them over 2lbs.I found as with most spots on the river ,the bottom is always changing so the spot I'm sure isn't exactly where it used to be.Its a good place to fish for fun but I wouldn't eat any of the fish.Good luck

7. dusty_allen

dusty_allen New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the info

8. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Man, I wish I was in Bixby and not midtown Tulsa (gas money). Youre sitting on some of the best big bluecat action on the Upper Arkansas River. All I'm gonna say is get to know the Holiday Sand mining operation's habits. Some of the biggest blues I've ever seen have been pulled from that section of river. And as long as your'e down there with time to kill, keep the eyes to the ground and you may find some native american arrowheads or other relics.

9. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What about the sand mining habits?

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Went out yesterday morn put in at Traders was having a litle trouble with the motor so i didn't go far tieed up at this little spot and from 7:30 to 10:00 am I got around 70lbs of fish they were hitting like freigt trains(5.0, 5.2, 6.0, 7.8, 8.7, 12.4, 25.11)and woundn't you know it i didn't have a camera.All blues caught on Shad heads and gut pockets. I did get a pic of the 25lber on my cell but I don't know how to trans it so I can post it, you'll just have to take my word on it. Not bad for a short outting.
    Loop

11. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Darrell was that up the river off of Kaw lake?

12. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Yes Traders is up north of Kaw Lake on the River there isn't a camp ground anymore but the Boat Ramp is still there. Lots of shad for bait no trouble getting them. There are several Holes to fish down stream just have to look around to find where there hiding.
    Loop

13. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    be careful if your out on a sand bar. if keystone starts generating power the water will rise quickly. you might call the corp. number and see when and if they are generating power that day. this might help your fishing too. good luck.