Arkansas River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, May 8, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Hit the river pretty hard today. Fished this morning with no luck. Rained almost the whole time.:angry:Oh well, it was still nice to go. On the way home I stopped to get some shad. I havent been able to catch any this year on the river. Im glad I stopped. I netted about 6 or 7 gizzard shad that were almost 10 inches long.I was a happy camper.:big_smile: Nothin beats fresh shad around here. Anyways when the wife got home from work we went fishin!The river was up some with all the rain. We fished the little Arkansas for a couple of hours with no luck so we moved to the big river. Within 20 minutes I hooked a 4 lb 11 oz channel on a shad head. It was a really good looking healthy channel. We took a picture and put him back. About an hour later my wifes rod starts dancin.She hooked into a 5 lb 9 ozs channel on cut shad.She caught hers as it was gettin dark and the flash on the camera wasnt workin so the picture kinda sucks.:angry: A few more good bites but no takers. She beat me again.:smile2::big_smile:Anyways it turned out to be a great day on the river.Nothin huge but very refreshing to get some fish after a couple of days with none. We are getting a new camera tomorrow.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice fish Kyle, congrats. :big_smile:

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    good job i also caught shad yesterday they are probably spawning in your area too

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good cats Kyle.

Nothing beats fresh shad.

The wife is just wopping your butt.Your a very lucky man!!

Keep up the catching,,just be safe and watch the high water in your area.

Cant wait to see yall at milford..

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Nice fish. Sounds like you had a great day. I really enjoy it when my wife goes with me and that is most of the time and yes she usually beats me also.

Tom

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I see how it is. I spend all morning fishing with you in the rain, then when I leave, you go hit your bait spots and go catch fish.:wink:

7. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    oh yeah, nice fish!

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I wouldnt do that to you. Believe me I was shocked. I told ya it was gettin close, who would have thought it would have only been a couple of hours.:big_smile: Next time you can get away let me know and we will probably have better luck.The river is about to come WAY up. Things will get interesting.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, I lightened'em up as much as I could without distorting them. Hoping they'll show up a little better.

Attached Files:

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice fish. thanks for the report

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good job Jim.. you are a man of many talents....NOW if you can just get Yeppa to catch a fish, you will be the KING of us all!!!!!

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Jim, You know more than me about photo editing.:smile2:Thanks for doing that.Im sure Ashley will be thankful.Thats what she gets for catchin the bigger fish.:smile2:Needless to say we bought another camera yesterday.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    THE FISH ARE RUNNING I WENT TO THE DIVERSION DAM AT THE WET WALNUT WHERE IT DUMPS INTO THE ARKANSAS RIVER AND CAUGHT 5 CHANNELS THIS MORNING IN ABOUT 1 HR NOT BAD BIGGEST WAS 3LBS JUST EATERS BUT STILL ALL GOT RELEASED

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    my son went with me while i was trying to catch carp he told me let me have a small carp for bait i said ok he casted into a eddy next to me and within a minute his pole bent over and he landed this nice channel 5lbs wow what a fight he had fighting it in the current the river is high and from bank to bank here in great bend

Attached Files:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrat to your son Gus...The fish are biting and its that time of yr we all been waiting on..Keep posting your pic we all enjoy them.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gus, congratulations to the little man, this oughta keep him "hooked on fishing":smile2:

17. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    went today to the wet walnut dam again two eater cats come out of there today all released and still waiting on the big hogs to come around maybe after this cold spell goes by the fish will start biting hard again
    boy we are getting alot of rain and just flooded over here the river is up and so are the creeks

18. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Looks like keeping at it paid off in the end.

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dam the river is high hard to target the cats thought i had them figured out till today just got skunked tonight not even a nibble

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im goin to the Big River tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will have some pics to post. Gonna try those perch I got yesterday and hopefully I can net some shad. Im needing a bigger fish already.:smile2: Im also goin tomorrow night and have another Walnut trip planned for Sunday. I love this time of the year.:big_smile: