Arkansas river

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by capt theory, Dec 22, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey all. been a while. just been into other intrest recently so i havent been doing any fishing. now that ole winters here im getting in the mood again. has anyone been fishing the arkansas? i notice that the arkansas river thread keeps getting deleted. kinda makes it hard to backtrack peoples ventures when it keeps disapearing. so any monsters?

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Josh, the corps has been running very little if any water at all from Keystone.From what I understand they are doing some work on the dam. I also heard they are not letting any water loose from Kaw.The reason for no water from Kaw is to keep the water level low in Keystone,AND IT IS LOW. I have heard of fish being caught near the boat ramp below Keystone.I can't say much for the rest of the river?

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The threads are still there they just go into archive if nobody has posted in them for a couple weeks. If you scroll down to the bottom of each section you can bring up threads since the beginning. Here's one of the longer Arkansas river threads.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19469

4. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    awesome. there was some stuff that i wanted to refresh on and thats it. well hopefully theyll get some water going again sometime. ive been out to the nav channel twice this week and got skunked once and landed a 10pounder the other trip. baits been hard to come by in my usual winter spots.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's like Allen said, except to my understanding, Kaw is not releasing water in order to maintain the lake level for duck hunters. They do it every year. Some water should start flowing again in April.

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Lawrence, the corps does have a problem with one of the valves or gates not sealing on the turbine side. (They may have it repaired now though.)That is one of the reasons they don't want any more water in the lake. But, you are also right on the duck hunting part. They do this every year.I think that is part of the reason they are doing the work now. Allen

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have been keeping below Webbers Falls to Cowlington Point on Kerr Lake. The bait is deep, usually 40-50 ft. It takes a long hand line tied off to the castnet handline to get deep enough to catch the shad, but "darned well worth it".

Lots of blue catfish being boated in the 20-40 pound range with an occasional stray flathead. (I release all over 10 pounds) I keep hoping to match or better my 63# personal best on Kerr.

The Arkansas at the mouth of the Canadian is producing more stripers than blue catfish on cut bait. It's still fun, though. Other hot areas include Dirty Creek, Sandtown, Sansbois Creek near Keota Landing and the main channel near Cowlington Point.

Walleye and sauger are being caught in the Lower Illinois River between the 64 bridge and the mouth of the Illinois in the Arkansas River. Usual baits are small red/chartreuse jigs tipped with whole minnows.

Water temp in the Arkansas River varies from 43 to 48 with the Illinois River maintaining a toasty 52 degrees.

Water level is normal with frequent releases down the Illinois River and L&D 16.

TIP: Look for the shad with sonar. Once you net some for bait, drift back through the same area with cut bait. The bluecat won't stray too far from the table.

8. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man you make it look to easy. that sounds like some really hot action there. im unfortunatly bank bound so i have to get real clever on the bait thing. i manage though. thanks for the info there albert. over the years ive known you i noticed i can always depend on you for the good info. i guess your pro for a reason.

9. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    tkishkape-catching any trout on the lower Illinois?

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The only time I fish for trout on the Lower Illinois is when my stepson Michael comes to visit. I'll go with him just so we can visit and bond. The trout are easy to catch when they're biting, and are totally frustrating when they're not.

I really get frustrated when the water is so clear that I can watch my bait drift right in front of the trout and it moves out of the way. Last week, I could count over 100 trout in a small pool, but they would not just ignore my tiny spinner, but would turn away from it as it approached, making a corridor for it to pass unmolested.

I should never let a small fish get me so frustrated... they're rarely good for more than three bites each when baked and I really do prefer a walleye or a bluecat for eating.

Oh, HE double-toothpicks, Batman. Let's go Catfishin!

11. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I havent went that far south. contemplating it this coming month. Pretty much stay above Tenkiller dam but was curious were there was a quality place to bank fish to get myself started catching some trout.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Alber,Was that you at the Gore boat ramp in that nice Cat boat?Me my Brother and my son-in-law was fishing at the boat ramp???Was that you?

13. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Quite a bit of rain already and they are calling for more. Ought to fill everything up and get things back to normal around here. Is thier any way to get water release reports for the weekends. I only get the report for what is going on that day throughout the week. Thanks

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    You can click on here and get hourly reports on inflow and outflow.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/ReservoirDailyReport/

Click your lake and scroll down to get hourly data.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/

Here's another real good one

15. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Appreciate the info on the site, but what about the weekends. They just don't post discharges for the weekends. I know its busier. Would like to follow the info just for snagging paddlefish. I know they have to let out alot of water before the fish will come up. Havent been snagging yet, but this spring, katy bar the door. Sounds to fun to pass up. Happy New Year.

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Look a little closer and click on the hourly discharge rates and you will find inflows and outflows for any day of the week including weekends.

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Thank you for remembering! Yep... you got me pegged. When you coming back down? Let me know and we'll meet you somewhere and spill some coffee together. Might even go fishing! Who knows what can happen!!

18. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Ryan, most folks go to the area right below the dam on highway 10. There's plenty of parking and an easy walk to the water (downhill). There's a nice fishing/observation platform above the river to use, as well as anywhere you want to go along the river.

There is an especially nice trout campground in Gore called MarVal Trout Camp. They provide access to the river, and clean campsites and cabins at very reasonable rates.

The State is currently stocking the river once weekly, but will be increasing the stocking schedule to 2x weekly thru February.

Fly rodders are out in force on weekends, but during the week, it's a lot less crowded. First time out, I'd recommend an ultralite rod and reel with 4# test and a selection of 1/16 to 1/8 oz roostertail, Mepps or Panther Martin spinners. the best colors are white, yellow and trout colored with gold spinner for bright days and silver spinner for overcast days.

If you like bait, use canned corn or one of many colors of power bait available at every grocery and convenience store in the area.

19. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Thanks. That ought to get me started. After the holidays are over I usually have a day off in the middle of the week plus weekends so it makes it nice. Appreciate your help.

20. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Albert,That is some good info there,it is nice to know a Real Pro in the area that you love to fish.You can't buy good info like what you have.Im hoping to get down there somtime within the next 2 week's My youngest son 14 is home now so Id love to take him down there on our river for some nice Blue's.I will keep you posted and I will bring the coffee..........