Arkansas River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by catfish clinton, Dec 24, 2009.

1. catfish clinton

catfish clinton New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    has any one been catfishin on the arkansas river from kaw lake upstream to the kansas border lately? how bout kaw lake?

2. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry I haven't fished it up north I've fished it from Muskogee south :confused2:

3. catfish clinton

catfish clinton New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Up until a week and a half ago, I was catching blues up to about 7 pounds in big numbers on the stretch of river around Clarksville, Arkansas, and buddy's of mine have been wearing them out on the Kerr stretch of the river. I know those are two different areas, but they are still the same river.
    Get you some shad and head out......I am sure you will find them.

5. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think the winter shad kill has taken place,so fishing should be good on the river.Went by kerr dam yesterday and saw gulls by the thousands feeding below the generators.More gulls than I have ever seen there.

6. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like using chicken gizzards when I don't have shad.

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I suppose that the gulls are there fighting the cormorants and pelicans for place in line there. If a fella can manage not to freeze to the rock he's warmin, he might manage a stringer in short order. It'd be a real shame to get splashed by a fitty pounder and have to sprint all the way up the ice stairs to the truck.

G'luck to anyone that's got cahones to fish there until this arctic front passes.:Nop:

8. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i used to go to gore/ webberfalls and fish the dam and summersferry in the winter,,got pictures of the riprap with thick white ice 2 feet up from the water....and poles out ....
    Wish i was there to sock it to them.....is the last 800 feet still fenced off...and mad so you have to walk to the dam...

not that it matters as i like under the highline wires best

9. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    It was the last time i was down there about 2 months ago.

Foggy :Mad:

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sadly, the power plant is just finishing up year 1 of a 5 year hydroelectric generator replacement project. The 800ft walk is here to stay for a while longer.

Unfortunately, as people use wagons to carry their stuff down the walk, they still just cannot be bothered by picking up their empty beer cans and trash. Last time I was fishing there, one fellow netted enough shad to fish with all day long, emptied his net in the rocks and baited up. After an hour or so, the shad weren't live enough to suit him, so he dumped another netfull on the ground. When he was finished for the day, he left those stinking rotting shad laying on the ground for all of the rest of us to walk over and smell.

I could go on forever about how nasty it gets down there due to uncaring fishermen... but I won't. I know none of those uncaring slobs are members of this forum.

All we can do is to shame those who don't know better and teach them about being responsible people... all the while, carrying our own plastic bag to stuff with trash that we find in our fishing places.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Albert - My goodness you are alive and breathing. I was wondering about you. Just returned from New Mexico last week from another successful elk hunt. Will call soon.

12. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    albert, i totally agree with you, i have seen to many waters like this, disqusts me also, one of my buddy's that's a fishery biologist for the GRDA where trying to atleast start some volunteer clean ups, and try to get some trash barrels atleast, i know the problem is who's gonna pickem up, but hell something should atleast be put in thought, anyways i might see ya tuesday or wednesday, trying to book me a date, i'm liking wedenesday 52 degrees its looking, i'm gonna have to take off work though, oh yeah and i still need to shovel all the snow out of the boat, and see if the motor still runs, so if all is good see ya soon

13. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Im the kind of person that will ask them as they are leaving your just gonna leave that trash laying there. I will also thell them it people that do this that cause's the other fishermen to pay when they run us out from fishing in those areas. Down below Ft. Gibson they will just lock the gate and you just have to make the 100 yard cast up to the turbines just like you used to do before they did open the gate. It just chaps my butt to see people that does this. Their is just a lot of people that have the dont give a rats butt mentailty. Its like they are thinking i cant see or smell it from my front door.:Mad:
    :Mad:
    :Mad:

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    George! You oughtta know that you can't keep a good man down... at least not without a handful of ten-penny nails through the britches to the floor.

I'm planning a trophy catfish trip tomorrow with Hubcap, my trusty fishing dog. Should be pretty nice basking in the sun enjoying the 35 degree temps. If you're in the neighborhood, I'll be leaving the barn around 10AM. A nice elk roast will assure you of a seat on the bus.:handshake:

15. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Agreed! Nothing burns my butt more than watching people re-stool their reels and just leave their old line laying around... Usually ends up in the water and everybody gets tangled up in it or wrapped around somebodys prop.

I know at Keystone, the regulars will some times when waiting on that monster cat to jump on their line, they'll pick up trash and then burn it. I've done that many times...

North side at Keystone dam is a pig pin, and is nasty, I seldom fish that side because of it.

16. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Easy there, Foggy...I completely agree with your comments. Be careful down there at the wall, a lot of those old men carry a little insurance in a holster. Remember that a young man will fight you but an old man will shoot you!. :beat-up:

I simply smile and suggest that the slob pick up his trash and take it with him. If he does, I thank him. If not, I'll pick up after him. There's nothing like the pungent aroma of rotting fish to ruin an otherwise enjoyable fishing trip.:rose-dead::rose-dead::rose-dead::bad::rose-dead:

17. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    An I'm thinking of calling the local law an see if they show up an ticket these jerks. When my girls were young we were up fishing with my dad at salt plains. The beach was trashed up an as I looked at it I just said to the girls get a sack we got some work to do lol and we cleaned up the litter . Put this topic has struck a chord so will make the effort to say something next time I see that kind on lazy crud.

18. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I havent been yet. I got to get my Ok license and ill be heading down below the dam to see what kind of luck I have.

19. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Marilyn and I picked up trash every day at Eufala dam last year. On both sides of the dam and it took at least a hour a day. Some days were much worse now there are some fishermen who help keep it clean but far more that ate just pigs. I always figured that if we went to their homes it would look like a dump. Just figured that is how they live not sure but perhaps. We are going to be at the Dam this year also keeping it clean and we do thank those who help by picking up their own mess. And thank God for the ones that help us keep it clean also.

Bill

20. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I see it a lot too, especially around areas that are kind of out of the way and not on a regular trash pickup route. Like the Coffer dam at Overholser, place is a dump. It would be one thing if it was beer bottles from people partying, but it isn't. It's trash from fishermen. And of course there is no trash can down there because they don't want to drive down there to get them. Anyway, we do have laws against littering in Okla. I think we should report people for it. Im sure getting fined for it will deter it. Also I wish they would put up signs to remind people that they could get fined.
    http://http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2229/L-310.pdf