arkansas river--upper/lower

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by DHR, Dec 9, 2008.

1. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    does nobody on here fish above or below kerr lake?

or is it not a hot topic?

ive fished from webbers falls city park all the way down to 4-5 miles below kerr dam.

i have had fair luck at both ends.

when i was fishing on the bank i saw some monster flat and monster blue heads around a few of my fishing holes--bank fishing holes.

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    go up to highway 10 landing,west of gore, just below greenleaf lake. the corp. nav. map calls this webber falls lake, its great fishing and you can get bait there by the rail road bridge. also wilson rock ,south of muldrow is a good place to fish when its too windy on the lake, bait this time of year can be found there by the ramp along the inside of the jetty

3. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    thanks steve!

i havent fished that far in either direction, close though.

ill have to try those out.

especially for the bait tips........a lot of times ill go get bait the night before and use a aerator from a fish tank, i need one for the live well so i can have bubbles goin down the road or across the lake.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There are more people that fish on the Arkansas River from the Arkansas Border to Tulsa than will tell of their experiences. Many have their own "secret" spots and will pull the anchor quick and move rather than let anyone else get a fix on their "Honey Hole".

Just treat this great river system as the best blue catfish fishery in Oklahoma. Because it is.

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    albert, are you having any luck on finding shad up on your end, this time last year shad could be found a spanard creek, have you heard of any one finding shad there now?

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Spaniard Creek is a good place, but when I launch from Highway 10 landing, I find my shad directly across the creek from the ramp in the drop-off from the far bank. I have learned to use my smallest castnet for sometimes I get so many shad I can't lift the net.

There is another place that's not quite so productive, but usually pays off... the hole just on the river side of the railroad bridge.

If you're on the Arkansas below I-40, the winter shad are usually in the 40 foot hole in the river at the mouth of Dirty Creek.

The Barge dock at Webbers is the best place to find shad... except in the winter. Wintertime will only have you picking three-inch bluecat out of your net... so don't bother until the water warms up a little.