Arkansas River this weekend

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Cause They're Big, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Greetings guys and gals. First-time poster, here, and I'm looking forward to getting some good info and sharing some stories.

I'm goin' to the Arkansas River this weekend around Toad Suck. Just got my boat, and looking to see a little more of the river. Went exploring today and found a couple good-lookin' spots. Gonna try 'em this weekend, I guess. Anybody had any luck? Not much flow lately, but gonna give it a shot anyway. Any tips?

Lookin' forward to gettin' some good info.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Don't know the area just wanted to say Welcome to the BOC.:lol: :lol:

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome! Holler at Jtrew that is his area.

4. Cause They're Big

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll look up jtrew and see if he has any ideas.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Duell, Welcome to the BOC. I dont know that stretch of river but This time of year the rule of thumb on the Arkansa is go when they are generating water. I dont know the phone number for the lock # closest to you but the number for Kerr L & D is 1-918-775-3474.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Welcome Duell. This is a great place and we have many very knowledgable Arkansas catters on here. You will be a good addition to that number.

You know, you would think in this heat they would be generating everywhere they had a generator. Fishing should be good if that was the case.

7. Cause They're Big

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    I never thought of calling the lock. Awesome idea!

8. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    welcome duell, i fish around the last rock dike on the right down river from toad suck dam and do pretty good.theres better places than there. i just dont know where. maybe this will help you some. good luck robbie

9. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    All we can do is try. Flow or not. See ya Friday.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
  11. Cause They're Big

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Just got back from finding some likely spots out there and marking them on my GPS. Found a stretch with a lot of dips and pockets. Looks like a good spot to drift across maybe? We'll see. I also found a couple of unusually deep holes behind some of those wing dams. Might try that too. I'll update probably on Saturday.

12. Cause They're Big

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    So we started out at 7:30 Friday Night amid lightning strikes and mumbles of how stupid we are, but Kenny drove 2 hours to go fishin' and that's what we did. Less than 15 minutes after we launched, the bottom fell out of the sky. We pulled in behind a wingdam to ride it out, and got drenched for our efforts. When it slowed down enough, we tried to put the tent up to get out of the rain. We got it up alright, but we had our own lake inside. Oh, well, it 's not landing on our heads anymore. It finally quit raining a little after dark, so we headed our dripping selves down river. Didn't take long till Kenny latched on to our first fish of the night. It was a small channel about a pound and a half or so. Not long after that, I latched onto a gar and got it up to the boat before it came off. So at this point, I have yet to land a fish in my new boat. We did some searchin' around, getting those little gar bites that you can't get away from on that River. About 1:30 or 2:00 on Saturday morning, I landed a flattie that went about 1 or 2 pounds. The first fish on my new boat. We stayed out there fishing until noon on Saturday, and never got another bite. We did find some great looking places, and are looking forward to the next trip. Well, I am anyway. I think Kenny's got his heart set on a Black River trip pretty soon.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My Nephew went night fishing last night 22 July 06 a Saturday Night. They were fishing the Barges at the rock quarry out from Piney Bay. They caught 28 the largest was 14 pounds, the rest were from 1 to 4 pounds. The were using cut blue gill. I guess the fish bite at night, they are not doing anything during the day.

14. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sgt , is that on the south side of the lake and west of Piney ? I remember seeing a large quarry there years ago. I've been considering a noodle fishing trip to Piney creek along the bluffs.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    As you come out of Piney bay into the river look slighty to the right. The rock quarry is about 1/2 mile from Piney, on the river.

16. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We (bro in law and I) camped at Bigelow Park and put in there at the ramp. Went just a little upstream to an island there. Water coming around it was about 6 feet deep at the time. As it curved back around towards the river it dropped off to 23 feet. Knocked the heck out of channels by casting into where the water dropped off to the 23 feet and letting it drift into the hole. Was fishing with nightcrawlers at the time.

17. Cause They're Big

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Went again last night for a couple of hours, from about 8 till about 10, not too far from where your talking about, Chuck. Using frozen shad, I caught a 13 lb. gar and a 3 lb. blue. We all had stuff to do today, so we only had time to stay a couple of hours. Boat battery went dead, lost the charger for my spotlight, fishin' with a couple of guys who don't do it very much, I didn't get to fish but for about 30 or 45 minutes total, but it was nice to get out there, if only for a little while. Gonna try 'em again ASAP when I get a little more time. I'm thinkin' about maybe goin' down and launching at Palarm next time and see what I can see.

18. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks , that's where I thought it was. Did you say that you fished by the barges there? I don't ever fish the river these days. Would like to try it again. Really thinking a lot about Conway Lake as it's under a draw down.

19. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Welcome to the BOC, and good luck out on the River

20. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    welcome to the boc brother i always wanted to fish in arkansas ill make it there sooner or later