Arkansas River South of Lincoln St

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Storm27m, May 11, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I went out this morning to the Arkansas River just south of the Lincoln St bridge. I was trying for a flathead since I have never caught one, but ended up catching 5 channels between 4-8lbs. All channels were caught on either cut bluegill or crappie heads. No fish bit on the other portions of the fish I had out.

I got one good hit on my live bait poles, but whatever it was left it alone after the initial hit. When I reeled in the pole to check the bait about 30 minutes later, this is what the crappie looked like:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing it was probably a flathead.

All in all, it wasn't too bad of a morning. It was 42 degrees out when I got there (6:30am) and the wind was blowing pretty hard making it pretty cold. At least it kept the crowds down. It warmed up to 55 degrees when I left at noon.

It was also my first try using circle hooks, and they worked awesome. All fish were hooked by the time I got to the pole. It might have helped that the channels were biting fairly aggressively. I didn't take any pictures other than the crappie because I forgot my camera and only had my crappy phone camera.

2. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    To me it looks like a trudle or maybe a Gar but looks more like a turdle. Thanks Sam Davis

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey man:

Sam wasright. A flathead would swallow their prey whole. They're not much for tearing. More than likely, it a snapping or soft shell turtle or a gar. Keep after the flatheads, though, it sounds like you're doing everything right.

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Yeah, didn't think about that. I did see a bunch of gar today. I guess it makes more sense.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    turttle turttle turttle is my guess

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wish I could have made it down there but priorities first.:angry: Alot of nice fish, especially flatheads, get pulled out of there every year. I rarely fish there because of all the crap you have to put up with. Not just from fisherman. I have ran into too many crackheads and drunks there to fish it very often.when I was there gettin bait the other day I was talkin to a guy who was fishin there the day before when someone stole his cd player out of his car and then tried to sell it to him on the bridge. He beat the crap out him right there.Also have heard stories of prosititutes tryin to get work on the bridge.That place has really gone down hill. It was not like that at all when I was a kid. Myu Dad and I fished it all the time. Thats too bad beacuse it is a good place to fish but its not worth it to me.I like the peace and quiet I have on a desolote river bank.I may not pull out as many big cats as regular as some but I still catch fish regardless.It is a dam and when they move up for spawn they will be in there thick.I like the challenge of catchin them in open stretches of river.Just pay attention and lock everything up.Oh yeah, not a bad day, except for the cold part.:smile2:Things are alot more peaceful down by the tressle.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yup same here at the arkansas dam west of great bend has big flaties but rarley fish it because people stack up there shoulder to shoulder would rather fish with my family or friends on a sand bar by my self

8. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Yeah, I had a few odd characters walk by at times and felt the need to keep a close eye on my gear. Probably not needed, but you never know. I went there because I am not too familiar with the river and since I went out in the dark, I wanted to go somewhere I'd been before. At least the cold and windy weather kept it from getting crowded.