Arkansas River rolling

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by samh, May 1, 2006.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Went to the dam at Morrilton this afternoon to do a little fish'n, I knew we'd had a good deal of rain( right at 4 inches at my house), but the creeks and branches around home didn't get up that much and even when they do it usually take about 2 or 3 days for it to get to the river, guess it's rain a lot more west of here than I thought, they had all the gates open and the river was high and rolling,the jetty where you launch that was 6-8 feet out of the water 2 weeks ago was almost under ,didn't put the boat in, turned around and went back to lake Brewer, although there was a bunch of folks bank fish'n just below the dam. Brewer had come up about 3 feet, still bad low, caught a few small channels and a 5 lb bass on small perch. Nice night to be out anyway.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sam, if the river gets high enough to cover the ballfield at the Dardanelle launching ramp, the cats often get up into the grassy outfield. Another spot to check out in high water would be Flagg Lake Cutoff, just above Sweden Island Campground.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :smile2: Yep the river is running!!!!:tounge_out: We went yesterday at the Paris Ar. ramp...caught 11 hump-back blues that totaled 61lbs..and 10 channels that toped the scales 35lbs....The bait was DK..We tried live shad only caught 1...:crazy:

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Yes Sir she's rolling. I thought about going this afternoon but when I checked the flow I decided to wait. They had 60 k coming down so I guess Oklahoma got a good rain too.

Sam, that is good news about Lake Brewer because that's our water supply. They had already started limiting the days we could water our lawn.

ST

5. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    a friend of mine went fishing down from the bank of toad suck on sunday and caught between 20 to 30 white bass on a white curly tail jig. said everyone there was pullin in some and quite a few guys were catching decent size catfish, but didnt know what on

6. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    big sam how do you keep dk on hook in swift current i have used it several times and when there is much current i cant get it to stay on. i've go so many cattails in mine now it only comes out in big chunks.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If nothing else works, try taking some without the cattails and work it into 1"x1" pieces of loofa.

8. fishallatime

fishallatime New Member

State:
    Fort Smith, AR
    I'm a Danny King's fanatic. I never go catfishing without it. 90% of the time I'm using it in swift current. I have used it in the AR river above the Dam at Ozark fishing toward the Dam when it was nearly at flood stage having trouble staying anchored and still had it stay on the hook.

Here's the only thing advertised about DK that is not completely true. "You never have to touch it". That's only true if you want it to fall off the hook in swift water or when it gets warm. Fact is, in swift water, you have to dip and pull the hook, and then grab the mess and pull it down tight on the treble hook. When it gets warm it will come right off unless you handle it and pull it down against the hook bend and barbs. Cattail fiber only goes so far in correcting it.

And I've tried everything on the market to get the smell out of my hands after handling it and nothing works. Nothing they recommend and stuff much harsher and more abrasive. Some surgical gloves for one hand would be in order if you don't want the smell on your hand. The smell will stay imbedded in your hand for 24-36 hrs.

Having said all that, the stuff is phenomenal for catching large numbers of cats and worth the trouble of handling.

9. fishallatime

fishallatime New Member

State:
    Fort Smith, AR
    One final word on the DK that I forgot to mention. Some of it will come off the hook either on the cast or in the water no matter what you do. But it only takes a small amount to get fish to find and bite it. Put it out and leave it. If you don't get a bite in 15-20 minutes, you're in the wrong spot.

10. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    thanks for the help on using dk. i havent tried working it down by hand . will try this i fish below 13 a lot and some below ozark. you are right about some coming off on cast and after 5 minutes if i reel in no dk or only a string or two this is by pushing it down and pulling at 45 degree angle. i will try pulling it down by hand i have never caught any below 13 only a few below ozark and one 6 inch channel below toad suck. i feel it because i can't keep it on. i usually dont fish if there isn't a good flow. i have tried the trebles with springs not much better.but thanks for the help and i will give it a try.

11. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :confused2: Boliver..a lot of folks have the misconception that the bait should be smooth on top of the bucket....Take your punch-paddle and stab the bucket several times needs too be rough on top..use a 1/0 or 2/0 hook punch it in and pull out at an angle...heck if it is stiff in the morning bring an ol glove and squeeze the bait into a ball then let her fly..do it all the time it works well.....:smile2:

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Let me tell you we have gotten some rain here in Pope county. My whole yard is flooded. must put boots on to keep my feet dry just to go to my shed. The moral to this story is, yep the Arkansas River will be rolling again!!

13. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Grant county has gotten it share of rain this week and it looks like the weekend may be a wash. I was hopin to get out and try to catch a few this weekend. It don't look like that will happen.

14. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It's rained up here all week. Heavy rain last Saturday, shower Sunday, Thunder shower Monday, another one last night and it started raining about 7:00 am this morning and it's still coming down. Rivers, all rivers should be rolling. Lakes that are low should fill up. This weekend don't look real bad but then again that could change.:crazy:

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    My old pal big sammy and myself went out saturday night on the Ar. river. By the way we are two seperate people..lately some folks have been getting us mixed up:confused2: I am Big Sam and he is Big sammy but we been best friends for years:smile2: Anyway we filled the livewell with channels,blues and 1 flathead by midnight...We used live shad which caught a couple..and numerous Gar..The Bait of choice was Danny King:tounge_out: once again.

16. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I will be at Toad Suck this weekend! My family has a reunion there every year the weekend before Mother's day! Will let everyone know how it goes! Will be fishing from the Bank. The water will probably be higher after the rain tonight and tommorrow! Any one around there let me know. My family will be at the big privilion on the upriverside of the Dam next to the campground's! Just come ask for Newton Styers and they will point you my way!!!

17. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Me and Smellycat are gonna hit Dardanelle saturday afternoon/evening/night.

18. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well, here it is Wednesday morning and it's rained every day (seems like) for the past two weeks. The river I fish most often is near flood stage. It's raining again this morning. Now don't get me wrong, we needed the rain but it really puts a damper on my fishing. I'll bet the Arkansas is rolling again today. I know the little river I crossed this morning on my way to work was high and muddy. Current speed wasn't what I would call rolling but it was moving pretty good. I expect some low areas along the river to flood.:sad2: Oh well, it will get better before long.

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I just checked the flow at Dardnelle, Morrilton, and Murray and we've got 50-70 thousand cubic feet of water coming down. It will probably be more before it quits raining. We sure need the rain.

ST

20. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Can someone tell me where you can purchase Danny King at! I have never tried it and was wanting too!