Arkansas River Report

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by 8898dan, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Fished all night Sat. night on Ar. river near Bigelow. Me and my cousin caught around 20. We kept 14 - all blues between 5 and 14 pounds. Best night in a while. Yes the river is way way up and rolling. We were able to catch them on downstream side of wing dams. We got out there mid afternoon saturday so we could scout all the wing dams since they are all under about 8-12 ft of water. It was slow going cause we were being really careful, but it paid off. We were able to anchor right on top of the wing dams and the fish were stacked up below them. Actually a few of the spots we did best at weren't really wing dams. They were those rip rap enclosed backwater areas. These areas are of course now all totally submurged with current, but most of them have deep holes close to the upstream end which might be formed by river conditions like this. Another note: none of the fish had eggs and most were full of muscle shells. I wish the river would slow down someday but there are still plenty of fish biting and I got sick of waiting for perfect conditions. Didnt see any barges at all this time. All fish caught on skipjack.

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Sounds like y'all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Daniel, do you fish the Bigelow area a lot? I've been planning on taking my motorhome up there and parking it in the day use park. Do you think I'm likely to get run out? I found a place to park it about 1/4 mile from the park, but it would be a lot handier if I could park right above the creek and leave the boat in the water.

4. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jerry- I usually only fish it a couple of times a year, but this year I've been up there 4 times already because I like to fish on the Fourche upstream near perryville, but the Ar. has it so backed up it hasn't been near as productive. I don't see why you couldn't park an rv at the day use area. Like you say it sure would be handy. There is a guy that apparently lives there in an rv. I talked to him once last year and he said he lives there and maintains it and whatnot. Might have to talk to him about it. It may be one of those things they don't want to let people do cause then everyone would do it. But then again, the most boats Ive ever seen put in there at once was 3 so I don't see the big deal. I'm sure you know about Toad Suck park, but you're probably also aware of that being 7 miles or so upstream. I like fishing around Bigelow lots better and thats too much gas to burn up on the river these days. PS- that creek is obviously way up right now and makes loading the boat very interesting as the current is very strong and sweeping right across the boat ramp. Took me 3 tries to load the boat sunday morning.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, I've always put in at Toad Suck and fished my way down to Bigelow, but by the time I get there, it's time to turn around and go home. I've never made it to the Fouche, even though it's just a bit further downstream.

6. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Please stay off the river right now unless you have a big boat and can handle it very well. The river has warnings on it for a reason. A couple Yell County boys sunk their boat below Dardanelle Dam recently!:crazy:

7. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thank you for your concern, nimrod. I am taking all the safety precautions I can think of. One thing I've been doing is going on to Google Earth and checking out all the wing dams on the arial photos. Pretty neat stuff. It gives the coordinates of where your cursor is, so I'll put the cursor over the wing dam and get the coordinates and program that into my gps. I am no computer guru at all but dad showed me Google Earth and it is awesome. With the river up 10 to 15 ft, its like looking at a picture of all the structure you can fish.
    Put in today at Palarm Creek and fished behind Beaverdam Island. Yes the river is still rolling but not near as bad on back side of island. Only caught 2 fish, but one was a 13# blue. Other was a 4# flathead. I took some pictures with a disposable camera - Ill see if my wife or maybe dad can show me how to get them on this website.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When you get the picture developed, you should be able to get them put on a CD for $3 or $4. That's what I do with my 35mm cheapie camera.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Well, The river is still rolling. current is strong, water is high, logs on the move in that fast current. That river is not safe to fish. I heard on the TV, the river may not be at normal till the end of July or the first of Aug.:confused2::confused2:

10. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well took yalls advice this weekend and stayed off Ar river. That thing is still rising. Its up 5 feet from what it was last week. Looks like it was at flood stage a few places.

11. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Dan where you located? up here in Van Buren its 5 foot above flood stage has been for 2 weeks. most boat ramps have been under water almost a month. guess what its raining again.

12. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Brian
    I live in Benton and fish the River between LR and Conway. Its still about 10 ft below flood stage in LR i beleive. Didn't realize it was already flooding up that way.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Made a trek to the dam at Dardanelle today,Wow, that water is high, the river was rolling all gates open. Be carefule out there do not get on that river.:angry:

14. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Got some pictures of these fish developed finally.

Attached Files: