Arkansas river near Oxford?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KScatwoman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Has anyone had any success there? I'm planning to go that way tonight, if the weather holds...

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was thinking of doing the same. I am very interested in hearing anything about that area if anyone knows, especially the boat ramp in Oxford. I know they had plans of rebuilding it, but not sure if they have yet or not.

I have been planning on going there the past few weekends, but the weather always kills my plans.

3. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Well, I went down there last night...

The site is actually pretty nice! You pull into the city park on the north side of highway 160 right before the bridge, then hang a right and drive down near the river to the boat ramp. The area is pretty well lighted. I could see where it had recently been under water (lots of soft mud) but the boat ramp looks usable IF the mud's had a chance to dry out. However, I do not own a boat nor do I know anything about ramps, it just looked like I could back my own truck down there. To the south of the boat ramp, there's a little shelf or walkway/path where you can walk right along the riverbank. The river was running FAST but the level seemed to be dropping a bit.

I sat there until 2am, and although I saw & heard lots of fish jumping (including a very impressive gar not 2' from the bank!) I didn't get so much as a nibble. I was fishing in a small backwater eddy current right on the boat ramp, where the fish seemed to be flopping a lot...I think they were actually feeding on moths (tons of 'em).

My VERY first stupid cast cost me an entire spool of line on my best reel: dumb me, I cast right out into the current where I immediately got snagged on a fast-moving bit of debris, which peeled out all my line against the drag and snapped it off. I said a few Not Nice Words and realized I hadn't brought any extra line with me. (*&%$#@!!!

Moving on, I cast out my backup line and let it drift under a bobber around & around near the bank, out into the current & back again. Then, the line snarled (I HATE Shakespeare reels- if I never see or own another one, it'll be too soon..grr)- cue half an hour of fighting, fussing and cussing...it snarled again (more fightin' fussin' & cussin'), then I hit another log and it broke right off. That's when I said to heck with it (or words to that effect) and went back home.

I think, if the water isn't roaring along at top speed & filled with debris, it might be a fantastic place to fish. I intend on going back there when the river has had a chance to calm down a bit...it's only a 30 minute drive, so why not? :lol:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I was curious how far you could get with a boat at oxford. I use a jon boat in wichita and get stuck even when the rivers up a lil. Ive thought about floating down there sometime. Anyone ever done this?

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have been wanting to do the same, it looks like you could get along a little better down there, and the ramp is pretty nice. Only thing that is a problem for me is the park where the ramp is closes at I think 11:00 pm, so I assume that means you can't use the ramp either after that.

I would love to try it some time though, I have put in down by Ark City a few times, and you can get around pretty well down there, at least better than here in Wichita.

Where do you put in around Wichita? Have much luck? The only place I have heard of people doing really well around here on the Ark is at the Lincoln bridge, and I just can't fish that way.:confused2:

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I Fish mostly south of the John Mack bridge and around derby. I dont care for Lincoln either, too many people and most of them dont know what they are doin. I put my jon boat in at garvey park and float to derby. Its a really nice ride except for Mccarthur Bridge is a lil hazardous with all the riprap and the remnants of the old wooden bridge. I do pretty well, biggest this year was only 20lbs but i caught over 50 all together with only three under 5lbs, out of the river. Believe it or not the fish in my picture was caught from and released back into the lil river. I really want to float to oxford and fish where the ninnescah dumps in. We used to fish it when i was a kid but its now private property, unless you float down there and stay on the sandbars. What sense does it make for the park to close at 11. Thats just when its gets good. and from what I hear you dont want to get on the bad side of the pd.:sad2:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    No doubt, small town police can give you some real heartburn! To many Barney Fife types out there. I managed the construction of the ramp at Garvey, I am project manager for construction in the City. I am lobying hard for Parks to put in a "real" boat ramp somewhere south, where you can actually launch a boat from.

Growing up in a small town, I can see them shutting down a park at 11:00, to cut down on trouble from teenagers and those who wish they were still teenagers, especially along the river like that. It is an awesome park, other than the hours. That would be a loooonnnnngggg float down to Oxford from Garvey.

What would be a blast though, if you are interested, is to get a few boats and some guys together and take a long float south, and camp a few nights along the way down and back. Camp on the sand bars and fish at night, sounds like a good time, and I bet there are some nice holes between here and there.:crazy:

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im more than interested. Im sure you know of the park off of 71st st. Thats where i pick the boat up at. From Garvey park to there its about 4 hrs when river is normal and about 2.5 when its movin. I have done it about 5 times. I kmow for some reason the river attracts more than fisherman. My first float down I docked at around 1:30 a.m. and there was a group of guys there just drinkin. It was a little weird comin up off the river though. I think I scared them more than they did me.lol Since then everytime I go the cops patrol just after dark. They see that Im fishin say good luck and leave. Been doin any fishin lately? bout time to buy new liscenses. Im getting both a Kansas and Oklahoma. I plan on fishing really hard this year. Hopefully we can make a float trip or just do some local fishin sometime.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Sounds good to me. I get an OK liscense too, just for the trips I make down to KAW every now and then, Keystone too. I hope to fish a lot more next year than I did this year. I was building a house this year, and only went about 3 times very early on in the spring, then was busy working on the house for the rest of the summer. Have a baby on the way in March, but hopefully will still be able to sneak out a few more times this year than last.

That park on 71st can be a little spooky at night, but like you said, police have picked up patrol recently for one reason or another.

I sure would like to fish down where you were talking about the rivers coming together, I work with a guy who noodles down there in that very area, has pictures of entire truck bed full of flats between 30 and 50 lbs. Makes me mad as hell he kills all those fish every year, but not much I can do or say about it, especially now that it is legal.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I hear that. My dad grew up in Oklahoma and I still havent got the nerve to noodle. I dont see the sport in it. Especially keeping them. It takes nerve but come on they are on the spawn and arent goin anywhere of course you can catch them. I think I read a post that you live near the big ditch? Is it close to that park? I know of a couple people that pull nice flats from there. And that park says it closes at dusk but everytime I run into a cop its well after dark. I talk to them so they know Im not causing any distubances I quess. I do know of some good holes within the city limits on the big and lil river that I fish when I dont have the time to go far. Do you go to Kaw for the blues? My Dad is a legend down there. You might have known him being in the construction field. His name was Richard "Clayton" Wagner.

11. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    You should do well down at Oxford. I have ran my 16ft MV up from the Oxford ramp. There are a lot of old car bodies on the east side of the river. I have had my best luck from the old dam to the ramp. I never found much structure from the dam to the Nineskaw (spelling).

Cody

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    DO you usually fish at night and is it okay to be there after the park closes? Not tryin to step on anyones toes. You mainly catch channels or flatheads there? Im wanting to take a float trip down there in the spring and fish the whole way down. I havent been to the dam in a long time, is it easy to portage around and is the only way to fish it from a boat?

13. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I put the boat in and run lines every few hours. When I am not in the boat im on a sand bar with a few rods in my favorite Oxford hole. They do not allow camping in the park so I park my truck at a friends house near Oxford.

It is EXTREME SHALLOW WATER. I have to constantly get out and pull the boat across sand. The dam is rubble now, its easier to drive my boat across the dam then it is to traverse the river. I use 1lb bait because I hate channel cats.

Cody

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I know I HATE this shallow water not to mention its all sand and it changes after every rain. Its the best river as far as access around Wichita but you get stuck in a kayak.lol. but when it does have water in it it can be a mean SOB. How about ark city, any nice spots there,that dont close at 11.lol. I scouted quite a few last year that i am going to try this year,not too sure how heavily they are fished. Some nice logjams and decent access, two things that are getting harder to find.

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Don't forget about the walnut river there tons of places to fish, Eld. lake to the O K border. Try the winfield dam above at 4 H grounds there is a ramp there. tons of bank fishing acsess. When fishing the dam I tend to catch my right at the dam then move down around the corner about 150 to 300 yds down river from everyone.:0a26:

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah I fish the Walnut in Winfield and Ark City. Childhood memories go way back at the tunnel mill dam. I have seen it flash flood Quick, its a powerful river.Have you fished it where it dumps into the Arkansas? The dam is nice but most of the time there is too many people.How faron the river can you go in a boat?

17. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    No. And we have floated from the winfield danm to just outside Ark city.

18. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    It has been years sence I floated the Arkansas river a friend & I floated from Wichita to Ark City & it was rough going in places then. We had to get out & pull the raft a few yards every once in awhile I thought maybe in all these years it would change because hat was back in the summer of 1941 before ww2 broke out. That was the only time I made a trip down the river. I used to bank fish it no. of Oxford where the two rivers meet. Also used to fish Slatecreek south of Oxford at the bridge was good fishing backthen but havent fished it sence 1943 ad to take a little trip with m uncle SAM & liked it so well we traveld together fr 31 ys. just an old ret. 1st sgt.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Wow! Thanks for the reply. That is awesome, just to imagine it. I am definately going to do it this year. I am sure you will cross my mind a time or two. How long was the trip? Ive though about going all the way to Traders Bend just before Kaw lake but I probably will just go to Oxford the first time.
    I have scouted the river many times on google earth and I know there area lot of really nice spots. By the way thank you for your service, my Dad was a 101st Abn Rngr and I know the sacrifices you all make.